We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tenant ignoring messages to set up EICR

suestew
suestew Posts: 379 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

Hi all, background, my tenant can be hard to get hold of, for the most part he pays rent, albeit sometimes late, after lots of chasing, he is the same with Gas Safety etc. We get there in the end but it's really frustrating for both myself and whoever is involved. I do not live near the property so it's not like I can give him notice I will be popping round to sort it out.

I have been trying to get an appointment in for a EICR, he is ignoring all messages and calls from myself & the guy I want to carry it out. It is now overdue.

What is my next move, Shall I send a letter sent to tenant stressing that it needs to be done, although I have put that in a message. It's legally my duty but for his safety too.

Comments

  • Myci85
    Myci85 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Do you have a set of keys? My old letting agent used to send a letter with an appointment date and time, obv giving plenty of notice, asking us to get in touch if it was not convenient, otherwise they'd assume it was fine and would allow key entry if no one was home to let them in. I think the letter also stated that we would be responsible for any fees if they couldn't get in.

  • suestew
    suestew Posts: 379 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I do have keys, but living so far away it's difficult. As I used to live there and have friends I can get a set cut and a friend can keep them. Thanks for advice.

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    You living so far away is of course a you problem and not ideal.

    I am not saying the tenant isn't helping things but most of the obvious solutions are you say it is happening on such a such date and you or someone you trust is there whilst the work is performed. After all this is for the tenants safety as well.

    You may just have to put yourself out unless you have someone else you can give the keys to that you trust.

  • suestew
    suestew Posts: 379 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I can get keys to someone I trust. I have just googled this and I believe a court order is needed to gain access, hopefully someone can confirm this…

  • FlorayG
    FlorayG Posts: 2,372 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes it is required except in emergency and this is not an emergency. If you just let yourself in, or even worse give someone else keys to the tenants HOME, you could be in big trouble.

    I know because I recently had exactly the same problem; I live nearby though and eventually went round to the house, to find that her phone had been faulty and not receiving calls.

    So my problem is sorted, but yours is going to be more difficult. A court will give you permission to access but it takes time and costs.

    I wouldn't ever risk giving anyone else keys to my tenants house

  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    At least you won't be in trouble if you can't get the EICR done:

    What if a tenant won’t allow access?

    The regulations specify the duties of landlords, but a landlord is
    not in breach of certain specified duties if they can show they have
    taken all reasonable steps to comply with the relevant duty. In
    particular, if they are prevented from entering the premises by the
    tenant, the landlord will not be in breach solely because they have not
    brought legal proceedings with a view to securing entry.

    A landlord could show they have taken reasonable steps, for example,
    by keeping copies of all communications they have had with their tenant
    as they tried to arrange access. Landlords may also want to retain other
    evidence they have that the installation or equipment is in a good
    condition while they attempt to arrange access. This could include the
    servicing record and previous safety reports/records.

    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-and-social-rented-sectors-guidance/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-and-social-rented-sectors-guidance#supplementary-questions

  • suestew
    suestew Posts: 379 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 28 July at 3:00PM

    That's great information thank you. The EICR ran out in May, I started process in June, will that have an impact? I have sent an email outlining what is needed. I do have copies of last one carried out.

  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It is not quite that simple…

    If formal notice has been given in line with the tenancy agreement for a legitimate purpose (which maintenance usually is but check the agreement) then access with key is acceptable UNLESS the tenant has explicitly denied it. eg changing the locks or responding to say that the time given is unacceptable. If the formal notice has simply been ignored then key access is fine.

    Also, if it is an HMO with individual room tenancies then access to the communal areas is allowed anyway without notice although that may not be sufficient to conduct an EICR.

  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Presumably the tenancy agreement contains a clause allowing access for maintenance and inspections. By signing it the tenant has already agreed to access and as the landlord you’re required to provide notice of intent to enter the property in writing giving at least the statutory minimum notice period. If the tenant then explicitly refuses you to access the property, and simply not replying is not explicit, you take the court for an injunction because they’re in breach of the tenancy agreement.

    As for giving a key to a trusted friend, well that’s a big ask for a friend. What’s the expectation? That they hang around the rental property waiting for the sparkie? If you live too far away to effectively manage the property then perhaps it’s time to consider using a letting agent or selling.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.