We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Best account for monthly withdrawals
I am managing the finances of an elderly relative who is using the proceeds of a house sale to fund care. Needless to say, we're talking about eye watering costs.
I'm trying to find the best home for capital from which he will make monthly withdrawals. He will have 6 figures in a fixed term ISA but needs to keep enough capital available for the fees in the meantime. I don't want to leave large amounts of money in his current account, but savings accounts all seem to pay very little interest unless you don't make withdrawals. I'm shocked that his bank wants to pay me 1% on a 5 figure sum. Are there good alternatives, that I could administer using my PoA? What do others do? TIA!
Comments
-
Are you planning for the costs to be met from the interest payments alone?
Or will the capital be reduced with each monthly payment?
0 -
Chase might be an option.
Also pethaps Saga savings but I don’t know whether they support POA.
Expect to have to move the funds when the rates change.0 -
NS&I income bonds perhaps ? again, not sure how good they are in dealing with PoA
0 -
Registering a POA for for Mother took two attempts but was ultimately successful
Regards
Tet1 -
The capital will be reduced.
Savings accounts are designed for you to put money in, not take it out. I feel like I am missing the type of account which is meant to hold significant capital which is used to provide an income.
0 -
Thank you! This is what I wanted: a decent rate of interest and instant access. I will look into PoA.
0 -
SAGA savings currently pay 4.5% (variable) with no restrictions on withdrawals to nominated account.
- You can deposit between £1 and £250,000 at a time.
- You can hold up to £1 million in your account
SAGA provide guidance on Power of Attorney.
Regards
1 -
There are lots of no penalty easy/instant access accounts. Your problem will be operating them with a POA.
https://moneyfactscompare.co.uk/savings-accounts/
0 -
Yes that's the problem. I have a few suggestions above, though. His own bank only offers 1% on easy access, as does mine and most of the high street names, but moving the money creates the PoA problem which was why I was asking. (It does seem shocking that so few mainstream banks want his capital)
0 -
They do but not at an interest rate you're happy with; they've rarely offered the best rates and you've almost always needed to chase around for the best rates.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

