We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Flat lease extension help

Anyone on the forums have experience with flat lease extensions, recently completed on a property and lease needs extending in the next 6 years before it falls under 80 years, I was aware of this before purchase and have budgeted £10k to cover premium cost and my solicitor fees and the leaseholds also, done some quotes on various online calculators and ball park figure anywhere from £2700 up to nearly £5k which is fine, found a solicitor who specialises in leasehold extensions deals with everything, his fees including arranging valuation £2100 completely fine. Until I get his figures on the premium low end £7000 top end nearly £10000, he has sent me all his calculations and have noticed he has calculated it with a ground rent of £200 when it is actually £100, the ground rent is due to be reviewed in 2029 and the lease states "the rent payable in respect of the period of twenty-one years following each such determination shall be a one thousandth (1/1000) part of the capital value", his calculations for the ground rent from 2029 is £361.85 which would mean the property value is £361850, which is ridiculous as I paid £88000 for it and we all know the property isn’t going to be valued at that. I’m at a loss I have emailed him querying his calculations but getting a response is near on impossible, obviously I am Paying him because he is an expert but the math ain’t mathing, just wanted to see if anyone has experience in this area.

Comments

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Based on what you say, your assessment sounds correct.

    Where did the solicitor get the ground rent details from? Did you provide a copy of the lease, or did you provide the numbers, or something else?

  • brightstar85
    brightstar85 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    I provided the numbers to him and I have sent screenshots to him advising he has put in the wrong figures but it’s hard work getting any response,

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Maybe move on to a better solicitor, explain that in your next communication that you don't expect any charges and you are having to move onto a solicitor that responds in a reasonable time and can get the basic calculations correct.

  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 3,212 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I am currently extending a lease and I noticed that the figure in the sum was £5k different to the advised value.

    IE report says worth £160k, calculation is using £165k. The solicitor says they have contacted the valuer but no response. I have emailed them too, but no response. So I'm giving it another week, encase of holidays ,and will then ring.

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    mlz1413 said

    I am currently extending a lease and I noticed that the figure in the sum was £5k different to the advised value.

    IE report says worth £160k, calculation is using £165k. The solicitor says they have contacted the valuer but no response. I have emailed them too, but no response. So I'm giving it another week, encase of holidays ,and will then ring.

    If you mean that the market value of your flat should be £160k, but £165k was used for calculating a lease extension valuation - that will make very little difference to the valuation.

    For example, if the lease currently has 90 years left, the £5k difference would add about £70 to the valuation.

    Assuming the lease extension valuation is a few thousand; and if you're doing a statutory lease extension your fees might be £3k to £5k; and your freeholder might try to negotiate the lease extension cost up by a few thousand - it might not be worth worrying too much about £70.

  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 3,212 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    22709.jpg

    Hopefully picture explains better than I have managed to. I assume the formula should use the long lease.

    It's not a huge value, but every little helps as a certain supermarket says.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.