We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cash buffer?

How do you manage/utilise yours?

Having retired a couple of months ago have been living on my final salary and bonus payments in the interim but now need to think about what's next.

The overall value of my main DC pension has been largely static from when I retired hovering between £740 / £750k (nice problem I know). If however I start to drawdown then I'm committing myself to potentially reducing the longer term pot value due to SORR whilst there is still ongoing turmoil with Iran and Trump tariffs etc.

Theoretically I can take money from the DC across short durations but with the admin complexity that brings with regular/repeat drawdown requests.

Alternatively I can spend for some while longer by reducing our cash reserve ( currently ~ 3* annual spending) without accessing the DC yet.

Just wondering how others with a cash reserve are managing theirs and what your 'rules' for when to use your cash reserve or not?

«134

Comments

  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 774 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    ”ongoing turmoil with Iran and Trump tariffs etc.”

    And yet markets are pretty much at all-time highs still - often a good time to derisk by moving a little out of funds (but not too much). At least make sure you take out enough to max out your 0% tax allowance each April.

  • Smudgeismydog
    Smudgeismydog Posts: 732 Ambassador
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!

    With a DC pot of £750k, I would be looking to withdraw up to your 20% income tax threshold and using any surplus to top up ISAs.

    Once your State pension becomes payable, your headroom in the 20% bracket is reduced, restricting your ability to withdraw at 20% income tax.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pension, Debt Free Wanabee, and Over 50 Money Saving boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    thats a liquidity/access choice and makes sense for a lot of people. but you could keep those ISA funds invested i the same things they were in the pension for similar asset allocaiton - you’re just trading lower tax now for hoping no high tax later.

    but also I think OP is talking about volatility and drawdown rules. I don’t know if that changes things. You should absolutely try and have a set of rules to follow. when to drawdown on equities, when to hold and draw on cash.

    most seem to recommend if stocks are up or at least not down, draw from there. If you have a mix of bonds/stocks at a target ratio, it doesn’t really matter where you pull from, if you then rebalance back to eg 60:40.

    and saving cash for down markets - size of how ‘down’ likely tied to the size of your cash buffer. Small buffer, wait for larger drop

  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 18,669 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!

    Our ongoing income is based on SP, Annuities, a small DB pension, and interest/dividends from income generating investments. Holding the income funds in S&S ISAs avoids any risk of higher rate tax.

    All ongoing income goes into the cash buffer, all expenditure comes out of the cash buffer. Since (if one is prudent), income > expenditure the buffer naturally increases over time leaving money available for one-off unplanned items.

    Rebalancing by moving cash between cash and long term investments is very rarely necessary, perhaps once every few years. To increase income, long term growth investments are sold to buy more income generating investments.

    Managing one's finances in this way avoids fears of not being able to maintain one's standard of living in a crash. It also removes the need for any regular (eg monthly) management activities as all income is automatically paid into our bank accounts, which are regarded as part of the buffer.

  • kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 July at 11:13AM

    We all have our own challenges in dealing with the change from employed to deaccumualtion of pots. Thhose with guarenteed income perhaps have a few less worries well different. My only income is from ISAs, later SIPP and in the run up to ending work I hoard cash in savings/premium bonds about 3 years spending, then a rolling 3 to 5 years of corporate bonds and conventical gilts laddered topped up; slightly less than £50k for now. I have a further sum in >10 year index linked gilts. I use absolute vales for spending but percentages when looking at asset allocation, great or terrible years might force rebalancing but careful extraction tax efficiently make major rebalances less likely. Come state pension age hopefully all my spending is amply covered, well under current rules so I can look at indulgences, largess and philanthropy: should I make it that far without financial or personal catastrophe.

  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 21,909 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 25 July at 11:48AM

    I don't have one. I have cash but not for market timing purposes. From the analyses I've read a short term (few years) cash buffer doesn't really help, except as a psychological comfort blanket, but there may be value in longer term market timing strategies such as Prime Harvesting.

  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 29,749 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 July at 11:48AM

    I guess if you are going for a timing the market (variable cash buffer) strategy then it probably makes sense to have some rules relating to relative stock market performance to guide your asset mix strategy but his is obviously a lot more complicated than just sticking to a fixed stocks/bonds/cash split.

    Have you seen research that such a strategy can give a higher swr than simply following simple fixed asset allocation plus rebalance rules? What rules did the research you have seen follow?

    I think....
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 July at 11:54AM

     whilst there is still ongoing turmoil with Iran and Trump tariffs etc.

    Once this turmoil ends, another one will start. There are always global tensions/wars/events etc . Most have little or no effect on financial markets, although sometimes they do. Normally the main danger to financial markets come from within them . Excessive debt/stock market bubbles etc.

  • GenX0212
    GenX0212 Posts: 338 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I suppose its trepadation knowing that I'm no longer accumulating. I became very used to seeing the balance growing month on month above the amount I was paying in.

    The point made by @Smudgeismydog is well made, thank you for the reminder re maximising the 20% tax band.

    I have earnings of about £18k this year so about £32k headroom to 40% tax band. Expecting to start taking a DB pension from February next year and also have some expected savings interest to take into account. Probably around £36k withdrawable from the DC this tax year including the 25% tax free. I have some number crunching to do to try and nail the exact final figures but cant do this until the DB scheme comes back to me with an updated quotation.

  • bownyboy
    bownyboy Posts: 438 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    FIRE'd in April 2022. We had approximately one year in cash spending. The rest in vanguard global equities. However we do both have full new state pensions coming online later, so we consider those our 'bonds' or equivalent.

    Four years later we're now comfortable with one year on cash and then each year we sell some equities to live off.

    early retirement wannabe
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.