Problems after metal pins in leg?

Options
Hope somebody may be able to help

Our 11 year old dog was hit by a car about 7 years ago. His pelvis and rear leg were shattered. He pelvis and legs were pinned. After a long walk today he is now limping very badly and looks in a very sorry state, but eating.

I don't know if this is old age kicking in as I know he will be prone to arthitis due to his op?

Does anybody else have a dog who has been pinned and is getting older?

Comments

• sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    We had a cat that had a badly shattered leg which the vet could either pin and plate or amputate. they said that pinning would be fine but would be affected by the cold weather

I think I would take your old boy back to the vet and make sure everything is still OK and get him some painkillers
  • kylieM_2
    kylieM_2 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    one of my moggie's came home one day with a shattered shoulder and broken leg, which also had to be pinned and plated.

If you think about how you would be with a load of metal in your bones! poor little things. As he gets older he will probably have his down days.

If it carrys on, you should probably take him to the vets.
  • kaznelson
    kaznelson Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your replys, he is back to normal this morning, but I will take him to the Vets for a check, poor old man!!
  • petangel
    petangel Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I am a nurse who works at an orthapaedic practice. All older pets and especially ones with old injuries benefit from Glucosamine and an antioxidant. MSM glucosamine is a good place to start or greenlipped muscle extract. If you go for glucosamine, avoid the 'sulfate' type as it is not effectively absorbed by the body.

Speak to your vet to get advice and a dose rate but order a human product on the net or even from a heath food store as its MUCH cheaper.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport