We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Just Been Called a 'Weirdo' on Messages!

JWM
JWM Posts: 491
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

Just listed some items on eBay this morning. Already plenty of views and a couple of offers.

Had a message to ask the best price for all of them. Replied to say I'd only just put them on so wouldn't be reducing the price yet.

One word reply - 'Weirdo'!!

How rude! Blocked obviously but a tad surprised. Still, I've been called worse.....just not on ebay.

«1

Comments

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,168
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    A friend of mine has recently started selling online and he called someone a "Horrible person" in the feedback, he does lack awareness. She left bad feedback!

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,569
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I did once make a ridiculously low offer on a bit of tech on eBay, seller called me a rudeword timewaster.

    Didn't bother with feedback.

  • JWM
    JWM Posts: 491
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Oh it's not a big deal soolin - just thought it was a bit much considering I'd just politely declined to reduce the price.

    Upshot is they are blocked so can never buy my lovely items anyway.

    My Mum says I'm nor weird....I'm special

  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 4,094
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'd have replied "thanks!"

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 24 July at 6:16PM

    Apologies if my post was confusing, I realise it could be read as criticising you when I actually referred to the type of person who things these attacks are valid. I'm going to remove the part of my post that could be misread as I wouldn't want it thought I was referring to you, or to anyone else faced with other users who resort to names.

    Edit I have removed my whole post as re reading it I realise It is very confusing, apologies.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 11,209
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    A family member sold something on Vinted, and received a message stating the item was left abandoned on the doorstep and the buyer was on holiday … not as weird as calling someone names, but what did they expect the seller to do with that?! I think seller elected not to reply in the end, but the buyer chose when to buy and which postage method, and it was posted 2 days later as soon as was possible, so what can you do? 🤷

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,237
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The last line would have been my preferred response to them. Can you still block people who have active bids?
    I used to leave them bidding and then block them at the last minute which would not give them enough time to
    create or use another account.

    Not sold anything on ebay for a while.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 347
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Can you not reply - 'Not as big a weirdo as you' !

  • JWM
    JWM Posts: 491
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Ha ha! Just blocked as I can't be bothered with people like this.

    They have 5 Negs as a seller in the past 6 months (for allegedly just sending buyers an empty envelope) so obviously a charming individual all round.

  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,531
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I can only remember bits of what happened as it was a long time ago. Someone started calling me lots of names and threatening me. I engaged with one message and then let him rant and I reported it to Ebay and filed a police report and obviously blocked. A few days later I had another message from someone saying they were the partner of the person explaining they'd split up and apologising for all the bad language and abuse. It is extremely rare, despite what we come to see on here. I've been selling online for about 25 years now (most of them as my only source of income) and the overwhelming majority of interactions are perfectly pleasant.
    Even though I very much am one, I don't think any customer has ever called me a weirdo, which is weird in itself!

    .
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.