We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

car insurance - worth paying the extra to speak to someone ?

A bit of a advice please

Currently got my Car insurance renewal qoute down to two options

Aviva zero £420

Ageas ( no online version ) for £460

Nearly the same policy cover apart from

windscreen excess of £150 with Aviva or £60 with Ageas

No claims protected with Aviva

Both have legal cover -

Is it worth paying the extra so I have someone to speak to in event of a claim or issue - the aviva zero is online only .

The current price is due to the area I live in . I do around 8k a year split between business and personal .

Signed up to Ageas but then aviva got back to me with a better offer - it renews tommorow .

Comments

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,490 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Personally, no.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I usually choose sites that have good customer service at a bit extra.

    I like my life and find that a 10min phone call will resolve a problem where I can spend a long time online and still not get the problem resolved.

    Looking at your figures Ageas is a better deal - except what's with the no claims protection?

    £40 = about £7 a month less than two cups of coffee out. If you have a problem would you be happy to sit and wait for replies or wish you'd paid the extra?

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,137 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    How much do Ageas charge for changes, given Aviva is free.

    Life in the slow lane
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,235 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Aviva is only free if you have the right insurance policy. I had insurance with them where changes were free and
    it was super cheap to swap cars whilst adding another driver. Sister also had a policy with them and her
    policy was more restrictive, they would not add a 2nd car for a week where mine would.

    I thought we had the same Zero policy, but maybe I paid the extra for an online only one that was not zero?

    If it's online only there is probably no point phoning them.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,253 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Do you feel lucky?

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,510 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Check out GA as an alternative to Aviva Zero. Same company.

  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 2,493 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I’m insured with Ageas, through Budget Insurance Services. Had a claim in May 25. Everything was handled first class within 3 weeks. Renewal was only £40 dearer. I couldn’t fault them, so I am able to recommend them.

    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.