We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Money taken from Bank account - Scam ?

Hi

I had an amount of nearly £90 taken from my bank account in the middle of May , used to buy Tik Tok coins via Google I understand. I noticed this when I had checked my account while on holiday. I then highlighted this on my banking app to dispute it and say that it was a scam. I then got the full amount refunded the next day so was satisfied it was resolved. I changed my password on Google . I then checked my bank balance on the app and found that the same amount had been taken out last week under the term " Dispute refund " . When I called my Bank to challenge this , they said I had failed to fill in a dispute form sent to me on 15.6.26 and return it to them . I said I hadnt had the form I I check my emails daily and would have spotted this and completed it straight away. I was told that it had been sent to me ( confirmed my email address ) and had been opened around a dozen times between 15.6.26 and 29.6.26 , when the 14 day reply period had expired. I said I hadnt received this at all , never mind opened it numerous times over 2 weeks. He then sent me the same form , which I opened and saw that it was very plain it was a dispute form to sign and return , so I would have certainly done this.

He said the case had been closed and found in favour of the seller because the dispute form wasnt returned within 14 days , so I dont have any chance of getting my near £90 back

I feel very frustrated about this and wanted to know if anybody had the same issue and taken it further ( financial ombudsman ? )

I find it very strange that my email didnt show this 15.6.26 email and wonder if my email address was hacked to delete this ? ( a bit far fetched I know )

Thanks

The truth shall set you free.....................

Comments

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,347
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    If the form they originally sent to your email has been opened several times (the bank appear to have records of this) but not by yourself, someone else has, or has had, access to your email. You need to review and tighten your security setup - passwords as well as physical access to your device(s).


    From what you say, I am afraid I think it is unlikely that a complaint would be settled in your favour, by either the bank or the ombudsman. You can’t hold the bank responsible if your security wasn’t up to scratch.

  • miggiwoo
    miggiwoo Posts: 584
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks

    Have updated all passwords

    Will write this one down to experience

    The truth shall set you free.....................
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,789
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Do you have kids by any chance?

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 5,273
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 July at 7:54PM

    Also make sure to activate multifactor authentication (2FA/MFA) on every online service that offers it. It makes sure than even if your passwords get compromised there is another layer to protect your accounts. I'd also recommend having unique passwords for every service - a password manager is a great idea for this.

  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 498
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Nobody's going to go the trouble of 'hacking' your email for £90, and even if they didn't it's not possible AFAIK for them to prevent your client downloading the email, i.e. you viewing it. The bank likely didn't send the email at all, or sent it to the wrong email address.

    Depending on how your email's set up, your service provider will have the logs for the period in question, so check with them. Or you might have direct access. I can see my email logs via my control panel, so every email that is accepted by the server is recorded and available to view, regardless of whether they end up in my email client.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.