We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Travel Insurance - undiagnosed condition
My annual travel insurance has ran out and I've been looking around but I'm finding it hard to get cover.
I have several health conditions including Crohn's which is an autoimmune disorder. I always list everything.
I've also been having other symptoms. The GP said it's probably Sjogrens which is another autoimmune disorder. At the moment, I'm on a referral list for a hospital consultant appointment to confirm this diagnosis or not.
How do I declare this on travel insurance? If I put down it is Sjogrens I'm getting quotes.
However if I say I have an undiagnosed condition, the price comparison sites say nobody will cover me.
I'm only going to Port de Soller in Majorca for a week. We're planning leisurely days exploring the area and relaxing. It's not like I'm going somewhere remote or doing extreme sports! Probably I'll go and not need the insurance but I'd rather have it for peace of mind in case I get run over by a bus or something!
Comments
-
You have to be honest. If you have an undiagnosed condition you must declare that. Putting incorrect information on your application will invalidate your insurance. If you go abroad without insurance you have a risk of running up medical and repatriation bills that could make you bankrupt. Can you pay for a private diagnosis to get it sorted quicker?
2 -
I'm going in a couple of weeks. I haven't got time to get a private diagnosis. I'm waiting for a salivary gland biopsy and a mouth ultrasound which I can't afford to have done privately.
How do you get cover for undiagnosed conditions?
Here I go again on my own....0 -
Have you tried the specialist brokers? Staysure and Allclear get decent reviews - you'll probably need to phone them though as it's difficult to get quotes through the online systems if you are slightly outside the norm.
1 -
You will need to phone and go through a medical screening, I had to do this with Staysure last year (not my favourite company but would insure me). The waiting for diagnosis was a higher premium than the current one after diagnosis. There are several insurance companies known for accepting higher risk at a price.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
Are you just getting dry eyes/mouth? Or are you having the other potential impacts of the condition with joint pain etc?
Some insurers will cover you but exclude any undiagnosed conditions, this may be ok if its just dryness, would be more material if you are having broader symptoms. Obviously depends if you feel you need cover for this condition or not
As to what declare… depends ultimately what the GP will put on a form… if they are willing to give it a diagnosis then it can be declared as the condition, if they will just give symptoms and state awaiting diagnosis then itll be the more difficult path for getting cover
1 -
We need to be mindful of the rule about medical assistance on here but the OP does seem quite clear. They have a suspected but as yet undiagnosed condition. A GP is not going to give a diagnosis without the tests mentioned and as Op says they are unlikely to get those completed before the holiday.
It isn't a case of covering it or not, the insurance forms asks specifically if any of the insured are awaiting a diagnosis or tests- and OP can only answer 'yes' to that.
This was exactly what happened in 2025 with my annual insurance, the hospital 'knew' what was wrong but needed tests to fully confirm spread and type - they would not state specifically that my OH had X , just that it was suspected and he was awaiting further tests and then treatment. As mentioned above we spoke to medical professionals and they suggested a few insurers that would do a full medical screening over the phone, and we ended up insuring with Staysure. We were not covered for any medical issues arising out of the declared suspected diagnosis nor would we be covered if any treatment or tests meant we had to cancel the holiday. We were though covered for cancellation or medical issues (as well as all the usual lost luggage etc) arising from an illness or accident which was not connected to the undiagnosed issue.
The insurance did cost a fair bit more than our usual annual insurance but it meant we would be covered for any other issues arising . This year at renewal the condition has been diagnosed and treated and our insurance has dropped quite considerably.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.2 -
Not providing any medical assistance?
The issue of having an undiagnosed condition is that the insurer will exclude it and anything "related"… so have dry eyes and dry mouth that may be something you are willing to risk not having insurance for. Having problems with your joints, that the issue can also cause, would mean having any joint related issue excluded which becomes a much bigger risk to continue with with it being uninsured.
It may come as a surprise but GPs vary, they arent all clones. Some will give diagnosis and some kick everything to consultants… my wife was hoping to get some treatment for rosacea, GP couldnt see her for a few weeks so saw a private GP (free under our PMI) who wanted to do a referral to a consultant. Not wanting a claim she then saw her NHS GP who did agree its rosacea and did give her the prescription for the topical medications there and then without any tests let alone a hospital referral.
Almost all insurers do medical screening, most do it online these days. In fact there are two medical screen companies that about 95% of the market use and hence the questions and the flow are virtually always the same though they are styled to match the insurer's branding. The insurer themselves however are the ones making the decision based on the information from the screening firm.
1 -
I did not consider the fact that OP might choose not to travel insured - but the OP does ask specifically about getting insurance. Regardless of symptoms or willingness to take risks - the insurance forms all ask 'are you or anyone travelling with you awaiting tests or a diagnosis'. Saying yes to that removes a lot of options. It might be a case that OP decides to ask GP to cancel all tests and make a diagnosis without them but Sjogrens is something that needs proper management to avoid rare but serious issues potentially arising from mis management in the future and OP might actually prefer to stay on the route of tests and getting a proper diagnosis to assist with a care plan going forward. I know it is a personal thing, but I would prefer to not cancel tests and a consultant diagnosis for the sake of a holiday and saving a little money on insurance.
As above in my own case we wanted insurance for other unrelated issues like cancellation, delays, lost luggage etc- and choose to take insurance that did not cover the officially undiagnosed condition, but putting all that into a standard insurance comparison site severely limited our options.
Ultimately of course it is up to the OP to decide whether or not to travel insured , no one can make that decision apart from them.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
Almost certainly if they are going to decide to continue with the trip then they will be travelling partially uninsured as almost no one will cover an undiagnosed condition and things related to it. And thats my point, depending on how wide the condition is will dictate how wide the "and related" could be. Its why Ive always insisted on my medical based insurance covers my congenital condition, its unlikely to ever cause a claim in itself but so much could be argued as "related" I cant accept any exclusion on it.
1 -
The dry eyes and mouth which I'm managing with drops and sprays.
Yes to joint pain and fatigue but that's also a symptom of the Crohns and I also have osteoarthritis (both declared) so that makes it more complicated for GP to diagnose. That's why he's requested the scan and biopsy.
I do want cover. I think it's highly unlikely I'll need it for existing medical conditions. I'm still working full time and managing day to day.
It's more for the unexpected. My Dad had an unexpected heart attack aboard, needed a bypass op, then had a severe stroke in recovery. He needed an air ambulance home so that cost ££££££ but the insurance paid for everything. I'd never travel uninsured after what happened to him.
I'll look at Staysure and Allclear later. Having read the comments in the thread, it probably makes sense just to cover this holiday as a single trip and then buy a new annual policy once I've been seen at the hospital.
Here I go again on my own....1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
