We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

eBay Return Never Scanned into Royal Mail

Wottouk
Wottouk Posts: 1 Newbie

I purchased a fairly expensive item that turned out to be faulty. The seller, who is based in China, generated a Royal Mail returns label for a UK return address. I took the parcel to my local Post Office, handed it over, and was given a receipt.

When I looked at the receipt later, I realised the Post Office had given me the wrong one. The receipt belonged to another customer, with a different address and tracking number, but strangely it showed the exact weight of the parcel I had handed over.

I contacted Royal Mail, who confirmed that my parcel's tracking number (the one generated by the seller) had never been scanned into their network and appeared never to have entered the system.

I've seen CCTV footage of me handing over the item and the post office scanning, but I have no idea how a different address would appear on the label. My other thought is that it's an altered label and the qr type code was replaced with another one, perhaps knowing it would never get to the end destination? The seller only sent me a screenshot of the label but I have since requested they forward me the original label they received via email.

Comments

  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 1,406
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 20 July at 3:01PM

    Purchased via a platform? Did you print the label yourself or a QR code to be scanned.

    I see the title states eBay have you contacted them yet.

  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,186
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Did you request the return through ebay? And how did you get the returns label? When I had a returns request as a seller ebay gave me the option to either purchase a label from them or to upload another label.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 774
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    would the address and tracking number be on the QR code that the post office scanned and maybe it was a scam label that was sent with a different tracking number and address to that on eBay

    I doubt you were given the receipt for different customer

    as above - how did you get the return label?

  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,186
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It seems very likely that the qr code received does not match the rest of the label. It is possible that this is a genuine error but seems more likely to be a scam. I suggest you contact ebay and attach both the label you received and your certificate of posting. They may be able to see that the seller has provided misleading tracking and approve the return. Unfortunately they may believe you have used a different label to send a valueless item to another address and kept hold of the item you purchased. What is the seller's feedback like.

  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 11,209
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You should be able to get some details from tracking by typing in the tracking number on the label they supplied.

  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,186
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    On other threads it's been noted that tracking info can show duplicated drop off and delivery, so it may not be clear what has actually happened to the parcel op dropped off. Although I can't see how the royal mail/post office system can accept receipt of a duplicated package number.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.