We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fine for 14 Minute Overstay

Hi Alll,

I'd appreciate some advice on a Civil Enforcement Ltd claim :)

I've received a County Court claim with an issue date of 10 July 2026. I've already filed an Acknowledgment of Service and indicated that I intend to defend the whole claim.

The parking event was on 24 January 2026. I never received the original PCN. The first correspondence I received was a Letter Before Action. I tried to access CEL's website using the reference provided, but it would not recognise the PCN and there is simply no way to appeal on their website, or to contact them via phone or email. I then wrote to CEL on 2 July 2026 disputing the matter and have proof of posting. Their claim was then issued on 10 July 2026 with no acknowledgement of my letter.

I paid for parking via RingGo and have a receipt showing payment from 10:38 to 13:38. The claim states my vehicle was on site from 10:35 to 13:52, so the issue appears to be a 14-minute overstay, not non-payment.

The overstay occurred because I was with my mother, who has Alzheimer's disease and related health issues. She became unwell and we had to stop and sit down before returning to the car. I did not realise at the time that this had taken us beyond the paid parking period.

The Particulars of Claim state:

"Payment not made in accordance with terms displayed on signage"

The claim is for £261.19.

Does this sound like a defendable claim, and are there any particular points I should be raising?

Many thanks,

A

«1

Comments

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,132 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 July at 1:32PM

    Definitely Not a fine, just an invoice from a private parking company, CEL

    Definitely worth defending it

    Having completed the AOS online stage on MCOL ....

    Then use the template defence in announcements near the top of the forum, same as everyone else

  • abcismeisme
    abcismeisme Posts: 14 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I share the same case with you. I paid for parking but end up exceeding 10 mins. I am in the stage of Compulsory Mediation.

  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 27,165 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    With an issue date of 10/07/26 and having completed the AoS in a timely manner your defence deadline date is 4.00 p.m. on 12/08/26

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,678 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 July at 7:30PM

    CEL have started to include the alleged breach in the POC in July, so use the Template Defence with your facts in paragraph 3.

    Remove the bit in the Template about the Claimant 'delaying the claim' because they didn't.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hi, I cannot seem to find the template, can you point me to it? Thanks!

  • Hi, I am really struggling to find the template, can you advise? Sorry.

  • Jame4ters
    Jame4ters Posts: 340 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    It’s at the top of the first page

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,678 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    We don't need to link a sticky thread.

    Did you miss my signature words below?

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Update - not sure where I am in the process now

    Thanks for the earlier advice. I followed it, filed the AoS and submitted a defence using the template with my own paragraph 3.

    Since filing my defence:

    • I received a copy of CEL's Directions Questionnaire.
    • I have not received my own N180 Directions Questionnaire from the court.
    • I have not received a Notice of Allocation or a hearing date from the court.
    • I have now received what CEL describe as a Witness Statement/evidence pack, together with a letter inviting me to pay and saying they will continue to a hearing if I do not.

    I'm confused about the procedure because I seem to have received CEL's witness statement before receiving any hearing date or court directions.

    Is this normal?

    Should I have received an N180 and/or Notice of Allocation by now?

    Is there anything I need to do in response to CEL's witness statement at this stage?

    My main priority is making sure I don't miss any court deadlines or get a CCJ. Wondering if I should just pay at this point :(

    Many thanks in advance.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.