We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Driving licenses, women vs men?
OK comparing my driving license with a friend (male) I noticed that they are slightly different from each other. Mine says "Mrs First/ Last name where as my friends say just .First/Last name (no title).
I'm not particularly bothered tbh but does seem a bit odd in this day and age that there's a difference. I assume that its because a woman could be one of several titles whereas a man is automatically going to me Mr regardless. Strange thing though is I dont ever remember giving a title.
Comments
-
I believe this is no longer the case for licenses issued within the past few years, but happy to be corrected (I presume your driving license is older (e.g. over 5 years?)). DVLA suggests there is an option for no title on the application form and it is also possible to have it removed after.
Nonetheless, there are a few articles about it:
etc.
Know what you don't1 -
I actually agree. It does seem a bit inconsistent. If equality is the goal either everyone's title should be shown or nobody's. It's probably just an outdated system that nobody has bothered to change.
1 -
Heterosexual couple here. Mine says Ms and his says Dr. Both issued in 2022.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅1 -
I believe this is no longer the case for licenses issued within the past few years, but happy to be corrected
Since you are happy…
My partner and I renewed our licences 02/25, we are differently titled, both feature our titles.
Don't specifically remember a choice about including it or otherwise.
Maybe only applies to new licences rather than renewals?
0 -
Not quite presented like that.
Field 1 on your licence should be: Name - Mine says "Bud"
Field 2 should be: First Name - Mine says "Mr Biking"
Unsure where the "title" field is populated from, I would presume it is from an indication on the Form D1.
Most likely a historic D1 submission included the currently presented data.
Perhaps changes to more recent forms now enable a more appropriate election by applicants.
You cannot change the title via electronic application you must complete hard copy D1 and submit to DVLA.
So it would seem now, that it is all under the control of the applicant.
Using data from the passport record would also likely show data that you have supplied, passports only record sex, M or F, I am sure that could be another area for great objection.
I understand some people decide not to change names upon marriage and to leave their significant documents in pre-marriage format.
Lots of scope for personal choice leading to confusion.
Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!
One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.0 -
Automatic? Are you suggesting my hard-earned knighthood should be ignored?
0 -
Mine say Mr under line 2 Mr -1st name.
issued 2017
Life in the slow lane0 -
Mine says MR firstname middlename in field two. I am male.
It's a medical licence so renews quite often and I haven't noticed an option to remove the title on that form, which I'd like to do.
Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 20230 -
Another "Mr" here.
1. Surname
2. Mr First Middle
Photocard issued Sept 2022.
A man is not just going to be "Mr" regardless - there are many other titles and honorifics that could be there…
Dr, Prof, Sir, Lord, Revd, etc etc0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


