We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Nest pension

Hi, I am 58 and not sure how long I will be working at my current job as partners are likely to retire in a couple of years. I currently pay 5% and employer 3% into nest pension. I also add a small lump sum of £40 each month separately. I am wondering whether its worth really increasing my contribution to say 11% - employer not looking to increase their contribution unfortunately or am I better off opening a brand new SIPP? I have a with profits fund pension also maturing next year when I am 60 and wonder if it would be better to put into that new SIPP or transfer into the Nest? Any advice from would be appreciated, especially as I find the whole pension scenario quite difficult to understand - Thx

«1

Comments

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The problem with NEST is that all new contributions are subject to a hefty 1.8% charge, which other pensions do not charge. So if you can avoid this by adding extra contributions to a new pension/SIPP that could work.

    However, the Nest ongoing charge of 0.3% all in is pretty good, so you would have to make sure that any new pension charges would not be much more than that ( or less ideally).

    Also if you make your workplace pension contributions via a salary sacrifice scheme, then this could tip the balance back to Nest again.

  • Ozro
    Ozro Posts: 26 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thank you, this has just clarified what I thought - I have spoken to my employers about a salary sacrifice but don't really earn enough to make that worth it - think I will increase my contributions knowing they will be hit by a charge for the next couple of years and then move the maturing without profits into a new SIPP with a view to transferring the nest pension into it too. Nest looked way too complicated to keep and don't think they offer drawdowns so not going to be right for me.

  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 5,884 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have a with profits fund pension also maturing next year when I am 60

    Be careful not to draw all the fund at once/ at all.

    If you plan to keep the funds for a while, get your new SIPP open, and then ask them to do the transfer once the WP one matures

  • Does that mean if I increase my employee contribution, I'll pay 1.8% and not .3% ( I'm with Nest as aworkplace pension, and not likely to move before retirement. or is that for funds transferring in?

    Sorry I'm a bit new to this and trying to (too late I know) to plan

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,351 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July at 3:16PM

    You'll pay a one-off contribution charge of 1.8% on your contributions and then an ongoing 0.3% on the overall fund value of your NEST pension savings.

    There is no 1.8% contribution charge on transfers in.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Nest looked way too complicated to keep and don't think they offer drawdowns so not going to be right for me.

    Nest is one of the simpler pensions available, so you need to have a close look at any SIPP before opening one. They do not offer all drawdown options, but they do offer a specific retirement fund, which you can withdraw from and each withdrawal will be 25% tax free and 75% taxable.

  • Ozro
    Ozro Posts: 26 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Oh ok thank you - I will probably go to pension wise to next year and although they can't offer advice, they should be able to perhaps tell me what to look out for.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The main options for withdrawing from a DC pension are ;

    1. Take it all in one go - not normally recommended
    2. Take the tax free cash in in go, or in stages. Then take the taxable income later.
    3. Take payments that are all 25% tax free and 75% taxable. Normally called a UFPLS payment, which is what Nest seem to offer.
    4. Buy an annuity with the pot.

    Not all pensions offer all options.

    Note that taxable income is not necessarily actually taxed. It depends on your other income, tax code etc.

  • grn99
    grn99 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 26 July at 10:43PM

    Just to let you know they will be doing flex drawdowns from the end of this year ….

    https://www.nestpensions.org.uk/schemeweb/nest/retirement/retirement-options/self-managed.html

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.