We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Online advert scam
I recently saw an ad for a lightweight walking pad, from a company called Walkipad. I paid £76 and when the order was confirmed it said delivery would be a few days. When nothing happened and the SHOP app showed "waiting for details" I queried it by email. Two days later I got an answer saying delivery would soon. I asked for a tracking number and the carrier but did not get a reply. I ended up calling the bank who said it was probably a scam and gave me a refund, but said it would be reviewed. I also spoke to a genuine company, WalkingPad, who were helpful but couldn't do anything. They did say they were aware of frauds.
I now have a letter from the bank, Lloyds, saying the claim was closed and they weren't able to refund as I had authorised the payment from my debit card.
I now realise that the system for online payments regularly sends a customer to the banking app for authorisation. Once that happens, no matter how careful a customer has been investigating a seller, the bank can no longer refund.
Comments
-
That would be the case for people who claimed an unauthorised payment but for your scenario that is not correct. You should be able to initiate a chargeback if the vendor cannot show the item has been delivered to you, you just have to wait the required number of days, depending upon your card issuer, before initiating a chargeback.
0 -
Is this the company?
Reading the Refund Policy, this stands out like a sore thumb:
"Exceptions / non-returnable items
Certain types of items cannot be returned, like perishable goods (such as food, flowers, or plants), custom products (such as special orders or personalized items), and personal care goods (such as beauty products). We also do not accept returns for hazardous materials, flammable liquids, or gases. Please get in touch if you have questions or concerns about your specific item."This company doesn't sell the items in bold.
It's standard blurb lifted from some other company website.
So many scam companies are about that people need to check who they are buying from - before they part with their money.
0 -
If it does not arrive in 15 days Visa card, or 30 days Mastercard. you have chargeback for non receipt.
There is no chargeback for unauthorised, as such. Given that you made the payment, it can't be classed as fraud. All that can be done is dispute payment, so long as it fits one of the criteria.
Only worry is that they have already actioned something. As there is only one chance at a chargeback.
Life in the slow lane0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards