We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

will signatory

I've been told that a witness to my will must be someone who knows me personally. Is this right? I always thought that, for example, a solicitor's clerk could be a witness.

Comments

  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    My will 3 years ago was witnessed by my someone in my solicitors office and I did not know them

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,268 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Been told by who exactly? Mine was also witnessed by someone in the solicitor’s office that I’d never met before.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,544 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Unfortunately (for some reason) people seem to penny pinch on this stuff.

  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,849 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    The witnesses - or their spouses - cannot be beneficiaries. Our Wills were witnessed by two of our solicitor's office staff.

  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I've been told that a witness to my will must be someone who knows me personally.

    Which is why you need to be selective in who you listen to. It's nonsense.

    The individual is not witnessing your will, they are witnessing your signature.

  • Jude57
    Jude57 Posts: 873 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Is the person who told you that confusing the issue with having a passport photo countersigned? That's what sprang to mind when reading your post.

    As you had thought, and as everyone else has confirmed, the witnesses are simply witnessing your signature. Decades ago I worked in private practice and was a witness to the signing of Wills, conveyancing documents, other types of contract and more that I can't currently recall but it was a rare day when I wasn't called in to a solicitor's office to witness something. You'll know that a witness adds their signature, prints their name, their address and occupation. In my case, the address given was that of the practice. Also in my case, I often knew exactly what was in the documents because I'd drafted them and that will apply to many employees in solicitors' offices but it's certainly not necessary for the witnesses to know either the Testator (of whom the solicitor/legal executive/paralegal supervising the case will have established identity) or the contents of the Will.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.