We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

eBay Businesses not accepting messages?

How is it allowed for established eBay businesses to click "not to be contacted"? This seller doesn't accept messages. Why would eBay allow that if you want to ask something or have a problem? It's the first time I have encountered this on a business account, and I purchased from another seller instead that was helpful in answering my queries. eBay should expect business sellers to respond to potential customers. It's not a take-it-or-leave-it pay now and take your chance. Shouldn't be an option to turn off contact completely unless it's a holiday. Has anyone else ever encountered this no messages accepted ?

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,192
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Businesses can choose who they do business with and how, and what services they wish to offer (within legal limits). There's no obligations on a business to accept questions from potential buyers, although it would seem to be good practice.

    As you've found, you are also free to choose who you do business with.

  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 1,406
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite

    The worst part was eBay allowing you to type a list of sizes and measurements only to send it to a restricted seller waste of effort. I don't think people will last with a wall of silence. Exactly he lost a fairly big order. And someone else benefited.

  • Momogeew
    Momogeew Posts: 107
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 July at 6:08AM

    I've experienced the same on a few occasions, size/dimensions etc were important but when i realised they were a volume seller/turnover and, if i was spending over £100 i didn't buy because taking a gamble would have been difficult regarding refund/return.

  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 742
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As a seller I have noticed that buyers that ask questions are more likely to return an item (which costs me money and time)

    A lot of buyers also ask questions about stuff that is already in the item description then then never purchase anyway.

    Last one I had asked 3 questions,

    Q: Is this compatible with usb3

    A: Yes, it is fully compatible with USB 3 and also with all previous USB versions.

    Q: Does it come with the usb3 lead

    A: Yes, it comes with the usb3 lead and the 5 other leads in the photos/description (6 leads in total) Plus the 8 various lead adapters.

    Q: Is it black all over as it looks like one side is gray in the third photo

    A: yes, it's all black. That photo is just caused by the lighting, you can see the other photos that show the same side as black.

    No more questions after that. Didn't buy the item or even make an offer. Didn't look like it had even been added to a watch list.

    Some items are far worst than others. Car parts are a nightmare. Loads of people asking "will this part fit my car"

    A: What's the reg number?

    Followed by either silence, or, my favourite, "I'm not happy giving my reg number out on the Internet, it's a 2006 Renault"

    I'm sure the majority of questions on car parts just want the information on the correct part number, then they buy a cheap aftermarket part or a used part from someone else.

    Personally, if I was a business seller and spending a lot of time listing and packing items and was making my target in sales each week I'd disable questions as they take up a disproportionate amount of time for the amount of sales they actually generate.

    I believe buyers can still send you a message about items they have actually purchased even if you have messaging turned off which is obviously good if the buyer has a problem with the item or the delivery but means you still get the buyers that pay for economy delivery rather than express and message you after paying asking you to post asap as they need it for that weekend...

  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 1,406
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite

    I also think, as above, people will contact sellers for the information and details and most likely be selling as a rival or getting the seller to drop-ship for them.

    I also believe that the Gen Z generation is very impatient and expects way more from a service than is provided. Because they're brought up in a world of I expect it now and are unprepared to investigate anything beyond the first point of contact. Luckily most see eBay as an old person's platform but with lives that is a game changer because someone is there to respond and check details.

    And even if you purchased from seller the contact is still blocked, and a message to read business details possibly an outside email address. Also I understand digital sales reporting every three months has also not helped sellers have less time than before.

  • This is an extremely useful post. Thanks.

    This is something that I didn't realise but completely follows my experience as a private seller.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.