We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Plan 1 Student Loan
Hi, was looking for some help/advice. I have recently been in the fortunate position to have cleared my student loan Plan 1, rang up and paid off the final amount outstanding and was told over the phone that they would contact my employer and stop any future payments etc.
I checked the balance the next day to see if it was cleared and saw there was another £520 pounds added to the balance. When I questioned it with them (through webchat admittedly), they advised they wasn't sure and would create an investigation to see why. When I went back 5 days later to find out what the reason was, all they told me was HMRC reported that I owed the amount with no further explanation. I have since tried to contact them to find out why with no answer, tried to raise a complaint that was shut down next day as not applicable to the complaints department.
I am sort of at a loss as to what to do next. If there is a valid reason for this money I would suck it up but I find the lack of communication regarding this annoying especially as I feel I shouldn't owe anything extra as all payments are taken via PAYE and the payments deducted from my pay tally up with my last Statement in January 2026.
Sorry for the long post. Just at a loss on how to progress this and find out why this has happened!
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards