We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Damaged parcel - missing items

I think I've messed up a return and could do with some help.

I ordered 8 items from eBay. Package arrived badly damaged, with 4 items missing. I messaged the Seller, but the AI interface suggested I needed to raise a case as it was a Simple Delivery issue.

I googled to tried and find the best way to do this, and got as far as a Return Request - Missing parts or pieces. But because I've specified that there is only 4, whilst the return has been accepted it's only for half the amount paid.

What should I have done, and is there any way to get this rectified? If I cancel the return do I get a second chance to do something?

Comments

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,897
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 14 July at 12:33PM

    I'm not clear from the wording if you're being cheeky or you've been short-changed.

    You ordered 8 items, you received 4 items. You raise a case for the missing items, return was accepted and you were refunded 'half the amount paid'.

    Do you mean:

    • You were refunded half of the amount paid for the order (e.g. effectively 4 missing pieces)?
    • You were refunded half of the amount paid for the missing items (e.g. effectively 2 missing pieces)?

    If the former, then I'm not clear what the issue is, if the latter then I'd communicate the issue while the return is still open.

    Unless the 4 items that were received were also damaged (not that you suggested that to the case)?

    Know what you don't
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 1,075
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks Exodi.


    I don’t think it’s either of those options.

    I have been provided with a returns label, and it says that when the order has been returned and checked I will get a refund of £20 - but that involves sending back the 4 items I do have, and doesn’t account for the 4 missing items. Unless I send back the 4 missing items (i.e an empty box)


    I was expecting to return the 4 I have received and get a full refund of the £40 paid, or

    Keep the 4 I have and get a refund of £20 for the 4 missing.

    That’s why I think I’ve made a mistake with the reason I’ve chosen when I’ve raised the case.

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,897
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite

    Oh I understand now! I believe you will need to contact eBay then as they are liable for the Simple Delivery, not the seller.

    I would reach out to eBay CS and clarify the situation.

    Know what you don't
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,184
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 14 July at 8:22PM

    Missing parts would be applicable if you had received the item but it was incomplete. From what you are saying you have received four complete items (which you have not opened a case for) and you haven't received any part of the other four, so there is nothing to return. So ebay's working hypothesis is that the seller had supplied four incomplete items, and wants you to return them and the seller to refund, whereas it seems clear that the parcel was damaged in transit. It is best to contact ebay and say you received a damaged parcel and some ITEMS are missing from it. Is there any pattern to what you have/haven't received? Do you have a photo of the package as you received it?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.