We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

RAV4 vs Corolla Touring (both 2021)

velvetti
velvetti Posts: 38 Forumite
Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

Hi All,

I'm struggling to decide between a RAV4 or Corolla Touring Sports (both hybrid, say 2021). I generally buy 12+ year old cars and run them until they die, so this is the first time I am buying a relatively newer used car. I almost pulled the trigger on RAV4 but now I'm confused.

The reason is that I do a 100-mile roundtrip commute (90 miles on motorway) twice a week while the remaining days are city driving with twice a month weekend trips roughly 10 miles. Overall mileage is about 13000 per year.

Without the commute, I would have gone for RAV4 since I really like the design, interior space and raised driving position. We are a family of 4 and like to go on trips and the extra space would really help. However, I cannot justify hauling an SUV twice a week for my commute and for this reason alone, I am going for Corolla.

The mpg difference is about 10-12 mpg at least (43 vs 55 - lower than advertised but seems appropriate for motorway-dominated use), which would make a difference of about £449 per year. Insurance for RAV4 is about £25 per month higher, so £300 per year. Toyota service under warranty is same price but I assume independent garages charge more for RAV4, plus the parts would also be more expensive. Finally, i am assuming that tyres will be more expensive but I guess that's just once every 4 -5 years, so I can ignore it.

So the running cost is about £800 higher per year

And let's not forget that roughly like for like, RAV4 is about £4000 more expensive. (For simplicity, let;s just assume both will be on PCP with 35% max allowed deposit and around roughly 220-250 pm payments over 4 years)

Am I overthinking this? I really want to buy RAV4 but don't feel comfortable committing to the higher expense. Is there any mistake in my analysis that would make you favour RAV4?

Comments

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 13 July at 6:36PM

    You've made a list of reasons why the corolla is the only sensible choice, but you obviously really, really want the RAV4!

    Just buy the RAV4, then after a year or so you can be sensible and swap it for a Corolla if you want.

    Driving round in a Corolla when you really, really want a RAV4 is just going to make you miserable every single time you get into it.

    If you can afford it, what is a few pounds compared to permanent misery? (Money really does buy happiness 😉)

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,510 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    For motorway trips give me a lower vehicle over a slab sided SUV which will be buffeted by high winds.

  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 5,041 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Just get an insurance quote before you decide - there was a spate of Rav4 thefts a while back.

    Toyota had them in for security upgrades - I don't know if that completely solves the problem - you'd need to do a google.

  • velvetti
    velvetti Posts: 38 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    i got the quotes and it was about £300 per year higher for rav4

  • velvetti
    velvetti Posts: 38 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    yeah, the temptation is there but I tend to lose any pleasure when I feel I am overspending.

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    As you say, they're different vehicles.

    Pick which one you prefer.

    If you wanted a direct SUV sister to the RAV, that's the C-HR. The RAV is on a larger platform, shared with the Camry which Toyota sold briefly in the UK for a couple of years around 2019-2021, but nobody bought.

  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,772 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!

    no comparison between the 2

    I had a 2 litre Corolla tourer for 4 years ( 70 reg) I loved it , was quick and comfortable but was very low , so if you don’t want a low driving position the RAV4 is way better and of course more powerful

  • tom192
    tom192 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Suspect the Corolla will have a bigger and more useable boot Vs the RAV 4 it's not just about the size but the shape of it matters too.

    Estate will generally be better on the motorway too.

    Have you checked sites like Honest John for the real world MPG?

  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,772 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    edited 17 July at 4:48PM

    the Corolla boot isn’t great because of the “sporty” shape, the RAV 4 is squarer so may be more usable, it also depends on what model and engine size as the batteries eat in to the space


    I averaged about 50 to the gallon from my 2 litre Corolla driving it hard

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.