We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
How long would you wait before considering pulling out of a sale?
Comments
-
Well, looks like the decision might be taken out of my hands anyway. Vendor's looking at pulling out by the end of the week if exchange date can't get set, so they're as fed up as me. And I don't think there's a single thing I could've done to prevent the situation. Ugh, I HATE the English system.
0 -
There's no reason for it to take that long unless there are specified and valid concerns. Either one or more solicitor is incompetent; more likely they're simply prioritising better paying jobs.
My sale / purchase at the end of last year took 11 weeks, with the purchase part being 8 weeks. A fortnight of that was waiting for my buyer to complete 'work commitments' (i.e. go on holiday) so it was ready to complete after 9 weeks. And indeed some of that was wasted time, such as the repeated chains of emails from buyer's solicitor —> my solicitor —> me wanting indemnity insurance for the 'unadopted' road, then me telling them the road's been adopted for 25 years and sending the evidence which was a 20 second check of the publicly available records —> my solicitor —> buyer's solicitor… before it came back round again… and again for a third time.
0 -
For the record, the chain fell through in the end. Vendor pulled out. Huge delay was caused by someone else lower in my chain getting a garage conversion without the proper paperwork and taking forever to get it. A case study in why late discovery is an atrocious system.
0 -
Sorry to hear that. As said before pulling out of any chain means starting again. But if someone lower than you in the chain decided to do that then you don't have any choice in the matter.
Regards the roads being adopted by the council, in my estate (10 years old) the builders could prove they had done everything, but the council doesn't want the responsibility. I can see the councils point, so many housing estates are built every year and having to upkeep play ground equipment,l plus roads and verges would be time and money consuming.
But solicitors probably want to sell some insurance indemnity policy.
Good luck for the future
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards