We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Switching from Smile cc to Coop members cc

kuepper
kuepper Posts: 1,590 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 12 July at 3:25PM in Credit cards

I've had a Smile cc for many years but when I switched my Smile current a/c to elsewhere to get a switch bonus I became no longer entitled to cashback with the cc and no new Smile current a/c can be opened anymore. So I want to switch to a Co-op members cc operated by Coop bank where I have a current a/c already. This will also have the benefit of only 1 app / online a/c to manage instead of 2. However I'm not sure of best way to go about switching, I have a pretty high credit limit at Smile which I really needed once plus are there any pitfalls re credit score if I go about it the wrong way?

Comments

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 767 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    You can't switch a credit card - you have to apply for the Co-op cashback credit card separately

    You will be offered a credit limit which over time you may be able to increase

    At some point you may or may not wish to close your Smile credit card

  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 803 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have a smile current account, no coop current account. I used to have both a smile CC and a coop cashback CC. A few years ago Coop allowed me to close the smile CC and agreed to add the smile CC credit limit to the coop CC.

  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,590 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks that sounds promising, i'll get on the blower to them

  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 19 July at 8:00PM

    I have both the smile cc and the coop members cc. My members cc is my main one, and smile one mainly a back up one now, but when I first opened my members credit card they did agree to up my members cc limit by 5K if I reduced my smile limit by 5K. Both have sinced increased further.

    The smile brand is now a legacy one with no new accounts being accepted, so I imagine they'll be more than happy to close your smile cc and transfer the credit limit to your new members ac.

    Be aware with the members cc that whilst payout rate it slightly higher, it takes an age in comparison to get it. Most recent payment for spend between July 1st and Dec 31st 2025 was received end of May 2026 via Co-op Group dividend payment. With th collapse of the reciprocal dividend scheme and other affinity partners, and co-op group not paying a dividend to members since 2013, members cashback credit card is now the only was to earn any cash dividend on a co-op group membership. Make sure co-op group have your bank details to receive your dividend payment direct, otherwise you'll get vouchers to use in store, which technically can be cashed rather than spent, but finding store staff that still understand what a dividend voucher is these days isn't easy. Coventry BS may rebrand the members cc at some point, or at least de-link it from Co-op Group dividend as that makes very little sense now.

  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,590 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I got the members cc and they've given me the same credit limit I have at Smile. Based on what you've said I'm a bit shocked, I just assumed I'd get cashback every month credited to my account not dividend vouchers

  • The_Groat_Counter
    The_Groat_Counter Posts: 746 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 August at 12:39AM

    Whether you get a cash dividend payment (paid to your bank account) or a dividend voucher depends on what you have set up with the Co-op Group as a Co-op Member, as explained in @Stuart_W's post above.

    It's all explained on the Co-op Bank's webpage concerning the Co-operative Members credit card, scroll down to "Cashback terms and information".

    Stuart's post helpfully explains the historical rationale behind this arrangement which otherwise looks rather odd nowadays.

  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,590 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Ah I'd never read through that, when I saw 'cashback' I thought it would be just like my Smile account was. Oh well ….

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.