We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Motability DLM

Hi all

I have recently got my motability car for the first time. It's only been a few months and I've noticed a few scratches on the rear bumper the black plastic bit. I'm going to tell DLM but I'm not sure if I should tell Motability too. I've had a look at previous old threads about scratches and how it's gone as wear and tear when reported or at the inspection at the end.. but that was then with RSA who was the insurance company and they had a high tolerance when it came to scratches and dents but is DLM the same or have they become more strict?

Has anyone had the same or similar recently with their motability car?

I'm gutted because I've not had the car long. The damage is where you don't often look and now I'm thinking I should be inspecting the car more often.

Thanks

«1

Comments

  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,995 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    If it's just a few scratches I wouldn't worry about it and neither would I report it. I'm on my 2nd motability car being under DL and have had many small scratches caused by various things and I've never reported them.

    If in the future something worse happens you only need to report it to DL and not mutability itself.

  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,477 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Just leave them and if they look bad when you return the car after 3 years get a local company to come and remove them to avoid any penalty payments.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm gutted because I've not had the car long

    I would not overeact to a few scratches, or you will end up a nervous wreck, as no doubt here will be many more before the three years is up.

  • MenInBlack
    MenInBlack Posts: 102 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Thanks for that guys. The scratches are in one place and look a bit deep. I should've uploaded it first but I forgot. Hopefully I've done it right.

    1000035399.jpg
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,312 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    I got my car in March & it has scratches already. I won’t be doing anything about them.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    There are scratches and then there are scratches! I wouldn't mention it to DLM or Motability, but it might be worth contacting some local bodywork or chips away type companies to see how much it might cost. Having it done might give you peace of mind at least.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,127 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Be careful, as DL are now starting to not insure drivers with too many claims.

    Them scratches look like car has been reversed into a high kerb or such.

    Life in the slow lane
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,008 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,995 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    That's no different to what it was with RSA. I had 2 claims on a previous car and towards the end of that lease I received a letter telling me that those claims hadn't gone against me and I could place another order. The damage wasn't even my fault, it was caused by empty bins falling over during bad weather.

  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    To save any further damage don't let the OP use your driveway 😁

    Let's Be Careful Out There
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.