We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lilac suckers, anyone?

elsien
elsien Posts: 38,278
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
edited 11 July at 11:09AM in Gardening

i’ve been in my house 25 years and there is a lilac tree that was already well established when I moved in.

It’s planted on a little bit of a bank with very dry soil. Various plants also there but also some quite big stones to give a garden edging. The suckers are coming up more often than they did last year and some of them are in places that inaccessible to get right down to where they are growing out of the soil which means when I cut them off, they sprout again fairly quickly.

Any suggestions as to how to persuade the tree to throw out less suckers or to deal with them when it does. AI told me to use glyphosate on the tips of the cut-off shoots which I am absolutely not convinced by, so I’ve come over here for some sensible advice.

thanking you in advance

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.

Comments

  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If possible, rip rather than cut. This makes it more difficult for the tree to just grow back from the same point. It's easier to rip them earlier in the season than this. Appreciate your problem seems to be with suckers that are difficult to get down to "ripping" level, sorry!

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,359
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I used to have the same problem and did my best with long handled pruners to get into difficult spots.

    Easier to make a start on in winter.

    I think it's the constant search for food and water in these scorching summers that sends roots and shoots into overdrive. And age. My old plum tree started to throw out suckers when it was aged.

    Ages ago my uncle used to prune the tree hard back and it then didn't have the extra energy to throw out suckers.

    A small bit of glycophosphate shouldn't harm a big tree but it's going to have brown suckers then which will probably reshoot.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,904
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 11 July at 2:48PM

    AI told me to use glyphosate on the tips of the cut-off shoots which I am absolutely not convinced by, so I’ve come over here for some sensible advice.

    Wise move, do not use glyphosate on suckers. It will eventually work it's way in & kill the tree, may take a few years, but it will.

    I used it on suckers of ornamental plum, when I was still green & gullible and so long ago I even had a full head of hair. It took a few years but the tree gradually withered & died

    I've also managed to kill, by accident, a buddleia with drifting glyphosate spray

    Not sure if something like Weedol, which kills green stuff by contact only and does not get into the plant would work?

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,113
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite

    I wouldn't go near anything I liked with glyphosate.

    My lilac also threw up loads of suckers earlier this year. I pulled them off, potted them on and gave them to my local church for its plant sale. I don't consider them a big problem

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.