We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Motor finance/ consumer rights 2015

pjm79
pjm79 Posts: 15 Newbie
10 Posts Photogenic

hi I’m in a dilemma bought a car on finance had it 5 months and the engine blew bought extended warranty through AA but car requires new engine which costs considerably more than the 3000 pound they are willing to pay for repairs and especially when this wasn’t my fault no warning just bang so decided to complain to finance company via consumer rights act to either get a replacement or refund. Now it’s gone over the FCA 56 day time limit for an answer so wrote an email to formally reject the car to the finance company but am not receiving any communication. Now starting the ombudsman what I’m asking is does anyone have any advice of which way to turn this is causing so much stress within my family being stuck with no car and finance to pay for nothing? 
thanks in advance for any advice 👍🏻

«13

Comments

  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Need a lot more information for anyone to even consider providing help.

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,478 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    How old is this car and how many miles has it done? How many miles have you driven it in the last 5 months?

  • pjm79
    pjm79 Posts: 15 Newbie
    10 Posts Photogenic

    The car was an 18 plate bought with 51000 just over on the clock engine blew on 56000 just over. It wasn’t due for a service and only used bp ultimate fuel as it was my pride and joy.
    is there anything more info you need? And thank you for your reply 👍🏻

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,912 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    bought extended warranty through AA but car requires new engine which costs considerably more than the 3000 pound they are willing to pay for repairs

    This surprises me. I'd have thought a reconditioned engine for an 8-year-old car should be available for less than £3k.

    What make and model is the car? What quote have you had for an engine replacement?

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,783 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    "It wasn't due for a service". Have you been checking fluid levels regularly?

    As well as contacting the finance company and the warranty company, have you contacted the supplying dealer?

    Have you obtained alternative quotes for the replacement engine? Consider a reconditioned engine rather than brand new engine?

  • pjm79
    pjm79 Posts: 15 Newbie
    10 Posts Photogenic

    yes 5000 pound for a recon focus ST engine. checked all fluid levels regularly as I looked after also no warning lights on dash to indicate any issues this car was well looked after it was my pride and joy I work hard so it was a treat for me

    payed for ppf and only used the car washing products that did the ppf so that’s how much I was looking after it.

    I understand that putting a new engine in or recon would solve the issue but the question is the car should not have gone bang and not through any fault of mine, why should I put my hand in my pocket and lose out.
    that’s why consumer rights is the way I have turned to.

  • pjm79
    pjm79 Posts: 15 Newbie
    10 Posts Photogenic

    also I did contact the dealership on the first chance I could which was a Monday 4 may to be exact and by Friday I had a letter from there solicitor not to contact them comms was only to be through my finance company.

    I couldn’t see any reason for this as I was not rude at all to them, I was giving them the benifit of doubt as these things can happen to used cars even said from seeing the car to picking up from buying it everything was brilliant no hassle and would of gone back in the future but to receive a letter so quick leads me to believe they knew something

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    So an 8yo car, of a type ripe for modification and abuse, had an engine failure five months and 5,000 miles post-purchase.

    The big question… What caused the failure?
    Was the car absolutely standard in mechanical specification at the time of failure?
    Never remapped?

    That aside… It sounds like the warranty is willing to accept the claim, but the issue is the size of it.

    Is £5k for parts alone for a Mk3 Focus ST 2.0Ecoboost reasonable? No.
    A quick look finds a choice of used engines at your door for way lower than £2k.

    As for the £3k claim limit on the warranty… You knew this at the time of purchase.

  • pjm79
    pjm79 Posts: 15 Newbie
    10 Posts Photogenic

    the car was standard no remaps no extra mods that’s why I bought it. I’m a 46 year old man who just wanted a nice car that never in my life owned.

    Yes you may be able to pick up an engine for 2k for but that’s not the point.
    the point is the engine should not of gone bang at the mileage of the engine. Also what else is wrong if the engine is replaced. Could never trust anything on it again

    You can’t say oh because it’s an ST you expect that to happen because things like this can happen on a 1l Peugeot 107 or even a 1l Ford fiesta.

    Also the point is I shouldn’t need to use my warranty as the car should be in perfect working order and safe to use under the consumer rights act 2015.

    And I would say 2k engine has a lot of miles on it have you looked up the install price?? I shouldn’t need to put my hand in my pocket when I have rights

    This car was supposed to last me 5 years if this was my fault I would hold my hands up but it wasn’t you expect a car that you buy for a large sum of money to last a lot longer than 5 months. I’m after advice but all I’m getting is it’s my fault because I bought a car that’s ripe for being ragged and why don’t you just get a recon engine.

    I shouldn’t need to put an engine in after 5 moths of use plain and simple. And that’s why consumer rights is there.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Did they give a solid reason to not contact them? It sounds like a scare tactic. 5 months on, technically it is the dealership’s responsibility but they need to be given an opportunity to diagnose it.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.