We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Ryobi - impossible to register warranties!

I bought a Ryobi lawnmower with included battery and charger and a separate battery and charger.

I had photos of all the information plates with serial numbers, model numbers etc on plus screenshots of orders and invoices.

However, any combination of letters and numbers required, eg serial number, kept getting met with error messages that the number wasn’t correct. Even the model number had 4 or 5 options after the main serial number which are not available on the info plates. I’m pretty good at this sort of thing being a Chartered Engineer and a Chartered IT Professional!,)

Having wasted hours on this, I filled in their online contact form.

Couldn’t send this as it complained there were special characters……there weren’t, it was all alpha numeric?

I have now found a complaints email address and included all the information they need to register my purchases, but I feel Ryobi really don’t want you to get that extended warranty “?

Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,444
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I did find it hard to register warranty when I 1st got a pole saw.

    Are you sure you have the correct website for UK registration?

  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,425
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Yes, thanks. Just that I gave the exact serial numbers, part numbers etc and no full or shortened versions of them worked or matched the options the drop down menus offered

    Worse was having completed their email contact form it then saying that there were special characters and it couldn’t be sent when everything was alpha numeric? I even took out full stops and commas!

    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,425
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Update. I sent Ryobi all the information needed to register my lawnmower and batteries for the three year warranty offer after explaining it was impossible to do online as none of the information from the data plates could be added to their online form

    They very helpfully advise I must do this online using the very system that won’t take the information I have tried to enter!?

    Absolutely useless and didn’t answer my questions why valid serial numbers etc weren’t accepted by their online form

    They say unless I do this, they will not give a three year warranty!

    As I said before, good equipment but useless customer service

    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,444
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You must be doing something wrong as it's all explained when you register and there are photos of what you need to do.

  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 498
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Record the date of your contact; video yourself entering the data and it giving error messages, and if you require the warranty in future and they refuse on the basis that it was not registered, take them to small claims.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.