We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Estate Agents Confidential/Commercial Information

Is any information an estate agent gives you classed as commercially sensitive or confidential information?

For example

I've had 3 agents round to do an appraisal, discus marketing, commission rates, etc.

All agents give me an estimated selling price, tells me what rate they charge, what upfront fees there are, what notice I have to give if I change my mind, etc.

Am I allowed to divulge this information to other agents and vice versa?

Ie.

Can I tell other 2 agents that agent 1 values property at £400k, is charging 1.25%, charge £200 upfront for photos, floorplans, EPC, etc. I have to give them 12 weeks before changing agents, etc. or can that be classed as commercially sensitive?

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,960 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 July at 11:40PM

    I'm not sure what significance you think "commercially sensitive" information would have? There's nothing stopping you from chatting about it to anybody you like unless you signed some sort of non-disclosure agreement (which would be weird). Though I expect the agents are already very familiar with each other's charging structures etc.

    Plus of course it might not be to your advantage to disclose everything which has been quoted to you by the other agents, in case you get quoted 1.24% etc.

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    You have not signed something to say you cannot share information like an NDA so feel free to do with it as you please.

  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    This type of information could be picked up by anyone on a telephone call ring around of local agents.

    It is more than likely that they are all aware of each others business practices and possibly socialise with each other outside of work

  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 July at 8:11AM

    You don't need to share any information anyway. I've bought and sold 10 houses over the last 42 years and only once was I not able to negotiate the rate down and that once was simply because the market was very static and properties were simply not moving. When the market is good they have to do less work so are prepared to negotiate a lower rate because it's easier money. You can also usually negotiate the amount of time you are locked into them for (within reason) which gives them more incentive to sell quickly.

    Having said that as the market is a bit static at the moment I wouldn't worry too much about their fee rates but more about how good they are at selling. My last house was the one I sold when the market was very static, I had it on the market for nearly a year, a brand new agent opened and was owned by 2 young men who had previously worked for the big agents. They charged 0.25% more than all the other agents and would not negotiate. I researched them and both guys had won awards so I decided to try them. They photos were loads better, the marketing narrative was very descriptive and they sold my house within 3 weeks at full asking price. It was worth the extra £1,375 in fees.

    Sometimes you get what you pay for

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 10 July at 8:42AM

    GrubbyGirl2: I wouldn't worry too much about their fee rates but more about how good they are at selling.

    This.^

    I read 44% of houses marketed last year fail to sell. Right or wrong, it's a high percentage. In my town, a large proportion of sellers go with the local agent, who overvalues and has poor pics and descriptions. The better agents are 10–15 miles distant and may well be a little pricier, but they get property sold, quite often after the local bod has had a go.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • grumpy_codger
    grumpy_codger Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 July at 12:16PM

    Can I tell other 2 agents that agent 1 values property at £400k…

    Why would you want to tell them this? Do you want other agents to give you higher inflated valuation to win your custom?

    To make your mind, what you actually want is independent and ralistic valuations. Then you can tell agents what price you want and discuss this with them.

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Can I tell other 2 agents that agent 1 values property at £400k, is charging 1.25%, charge £200 upfront for photos, floorplans, EPC, etc. I have to give them 12 weeks before changing agents, etc. or can that be classed as commercially sensitive?

    You can tell them that if you want.

    What would be your reason for telling them?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.