We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

SIPP’s

Catonthemoon
Catonthemoon Posts: 137 Forumite
100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

Thinking of opening a SIPP. Age 62, no earned income, so only very small contributions (ie £50 pm).

Are AJ Bell, Fidelity etc all pretty much of a muchness (fees, performance etc)?

Btw, I also recently opened a T212 a/c if that may be of any relevance.


Thank you, Cotm

«1

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,861 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    For a small pension, you might be better looking at a platform that charges a %age fee rather than a fixed monthly amount.

    My~£30k pension is with Dodl, for example (part of AJ Bell). Last month's charge was about £4 (0.15% per year). But it's not really a SIPP; they have a small list of funds you choose from, not the whole-of-market you'd get with a true SIPP.

    I also recently opened a T212 a/c if that may be of any relevance.

    T212 say "no charges" if you want to give them a go!

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    With only £50 pm to invest on an ongoing basis, your best approach would be a zero fee sipp with no dealing costs on investment purchases. Any form of admin fee or dealing commissions have a disproportionate affect on very low monthly contributions.

    The only Sipp I know of that meets that criteria is that provided by Investengine, although it does require an intial £100 opening amount - see details below and their costs chart comparisons with their major competitors -

    https://investengine.com/sipp/

    However, they only offer a broad range of etfs, which at your current level of investment knowledge may make it difficult to decide what best to invest in relative to your attitude towards risk.

    As regards their quality of service, I cannot comment since I use the more expensive but much broader investment range offered by interactive investors.

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,890 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Performance is down to the funds you pick once you've decided on a pension provider. You can't compare the performance of AJ Bell and Fidelity, for example, unless you mean the performance of their customer service. You could select the same fund in each, and fund performance would be identical. As others have said, with smaller amounts, prioritising lower fees is the best way to ensure that more of the fund and any growth is preserved.

  • retiringin26
    retiringin26 Posts: 43 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I believe the Halifax (soon to be Lloyds branded) SIPP had a percentage based fee, but also capped at £16.50 pcm.

    It runs on the legacy SW/Embark platform as I understand it. I believe it offers a good range of investments. Got a decent Which? rating , for what it's worth

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,389 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Lloyds SIPP charges 0.25% and there's a regular investment plan without trading fees.

  • Catonthemoon
    Catonthemoon Posts: 137 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    What makes a SIPP look attractive is the tax relief. I might be able to scrape together the £2880 in order to qualify for the £720 government top up.

    What I’m unsure about is would I then have to leave the total (£3600) invested for a minimum period or I could I withdraw the full amount immediately?

    Thank you, Cotm

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    There is no minimum holding period and you can keep the money in cash so it doesn't lose value (well not through investment return anyway)

    But what you do need to watch is how long it takes the SIPP to receive the tax rebate. The SIPP provider may prefund that but not all of them do and it can be a while before it turns up. I don't think they'd be happy if you tried to take it out before they had received it.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,861 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    What I’m unsure about is would I then have to leave the total (£3600) invested for a minimum period or I could I withdraw the full amount immediately?

    Dodl (who I mentioned in my first reply) take about seven weeks to credit the tax relief. I think Vanguard were similar.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Firstly that's a big jump from your original £50 p.m proposal, which pointed to a very low or zero cost Sipp provider.

    Your new proposal of an upfront £2880 contribution to 'quickly' access the £720 HMRC tax relief, may now point to providers who do charge fees for investing, but if you have no intention to invest ( at all) and simply quickly exit your cash from the Sipp, then even expensive Sipp providers like HL are worth considering since they don't charge fees for holding cash in a Sipp.

    Would be worth clarifying your objectives here.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I do not think any SIPP provider prefunds tax relief.

    The pension providers that do are mainly the traditional providers like Royal London, Standard Life, Aviva etc.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.