We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Driving Test Insurance Query
Hello,
I have my driving test booked in December (don't get me started haha). I would like to use my own car for the test. I have all the relevant insurance for standard driving, but would I need anything extra to use it on my test?
Comments
-
I would suggest reading your policy document to check. My son had a bolt on learner policy which specifically highlighted that it covered driving tests.
You are aware that if you pass your existing policy will be very likely to not cover you to go home?
3 -
Also check what your car needs to be acceptable to the examiner
1 -
The only special thing about a driving test really is the unnecessary emergency stop but in reality those happen occasionally in real life too when people misread that a kids going to run out or such and at least 99% are done when driving examiner is confident its not going to cause a risk to others.
Ultimately read your policy but I've never seen any carve out for driving tests.
As pointed out above, the main thing is to ensure that the vehicle meets the requirements such as having sufficient rear view and a second mirror for the examiner etc
1 -
I'm assuming you already plan to have a qualified driver accompany you to the test, and available to get you back home in the unlikely event of failing the test.
May seem a daft question, but I've seen reports of police stopping unaccompanied drivers on their way to their driving test, and stopping failed learners driving home.
1 -
My son took his test in his own car. As soon as he passed his test, his insurance no longer covered him. His driving instructor had insurance that covered him to drive my son’s car after the test so he drove my son’s car home (with my son in the passenger seat). Later that day, we took out a new policy that covered my son as a qualified driver.
1 -
Actually, passing the test is more of a problem as you would need to inform your insurers of the change and pay the large premium increase before you can drive it home yourself.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards