We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Card Renewal Refused - Annual Fee Refund?

Today I received an email from Virgin Money telling me that my Virgin Atlantic+ card is due to expire soon and that they won't be issuing me a new one (no idea why because my credit score is excellent and I've never missed a payment or gone over my limit or anything).

But my real gripe is that I paid £160 annual fee in May and they are saying that they won't refund this.Surely they can't do that? Their explanation was that they only refund if the card hasn't been used - but obviously had I known this was going to happen I wouldn't have paid the annual fee.

I've lodged a complaint but I'm curious if this has happened to others? Can they really charge a fee, take the service away but keep the fee?

Comments

  • manyfluffyclouds
    manyfluffyclouds Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 July at 3:23PM

    I’d expect a prorata refund.
    eg if you’ve been able to use the card for 3 months then should should get £120 back.
    id complain strongly if that wasn’t the case.

    Ive closed cards of my own part way through year and received a refund. In this case its them that’s breaking the contract (not that I’ve read your contract)

  • BigmanDerby
    BigmanDerby Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    Thanks - I actually wouldn't expect a refund (though I'd claim one!) if I had chosen to close the account myself but in this case it's totally out of my hands.

    I'm claiming a full refund as it was an 'annual' fee and I'm not getting a year of service but we'll see where we get!

    It just seemed totally out of order to me.

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    You have no basis to claim a full year, as already said they have given you X months. Its no different to anything else, if you or your car insurer cancelled your policy half way through the year would you expect the full year back?

    You are likely to have more joy if you ask for a pro-rata one, asking for the full year is, quite frankly, trying it on and will get their backs up

  • BigmanDerby
    BigmanDerby Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 July at 3:52PM

    Well yeah I know that and I would agree, but they already told me that don't they don't do pro-rata refunds as "it is an annual fee for a full year of service and not applied or calculated on a month-by-month basis".

    So I don't think it's "trying it on" to ask for the full annual fee back if it's that or nothing? But obviously a pro-rata would make a lot more sense and it is what I originally requested.

  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Virgin Money were taken over by Nationwide 1st Oct. 2024 and all their business transferred effective 2nd April 2026.

    Could this be relevant ?

    Just a thought - cue somebody with better knowledge of these two financial institutions.

  • Maegi
    Maegi Posts: 270 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Nationwide have much lower risk appetite than Clydesdale/Virgin had plus you normally had to have another product meaning they have lots of credit card customers who also bank with them.

    I would personally complain and ask for whole annual fee refunded as they're the party cancelling, not you.

  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, I reckon a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman is the way forward.

  • BigmanDerby
    BigmanDerby Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    That would certainly be the next step if they reject my complaint - so far I've just been told No via their Chat but they escalated the complaint

  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 5,909 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July at 10:57AM

    Agree their argument makes no sense - you paid a full year not up to the expiry of this card, so they need to figure out how to give you a full year of service.

    Sorry not useful other than just trying different ways to convey to them. If no luck, your next step is a formal complaint, and after 8 weeks then escalate to the Ombudsman.

  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I've had to take a couple or so complaints to the FO over the least few years, each one dealt with thoroughly.

    They were very helpful fielding my initial 'phone calls for advice and guidance before I decided to go formal.

    It is a relatively long process,- and time consuming in respect of administrative work to produce supporting evidence.

    Good luck if you go that route.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.