We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NHS hearing aids

2»

Comments

  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,906 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have always had good service from my local audiology department. Here you only have the hospital supplying then. A friend was horrified that I had the same as the ones she'd paid for privately.

    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

    I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • UKX69
    UKX69 Posts: 346 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    I live in Wales, so the NHS here is run by the Welsh government. When I started to lose my hearing 26 years ago and had to start wearing aids (although I knew I was having problems 36 years ago), I had a choice of which hospital I could visit to see an audiologist ( I live very close to two). At that time, extra funding for audiology had been provided, so I had the choice of good aids. Over the years I could visit the hospital on a drop in basis to sort out any problems. Fast forward to three years ago and now profoundly deaf, the local NHS has been reorganised and I’ve been transferred to the other but nearer hospital. No longer able to just walk in. You have to phone or email to make an appointment for anything - but you get one very quickly. It’s still a first class service and now I’ve been upgraded to the best aids that they can supply, connect via Bluetooth to my phone and control them from there. Altogether very satisfying.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,636 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Luckily I have no need for hearing aids, but I did listen to an interesting radio programme, ( an episode of the interesting Sliced Bread series on R4) where the latest and NHS aids were discussed in some detail. The gist of it was that to get the very latest in technology you need to go private, but the NHS ones were also pretty good.

    BBC Radio 4 - Sliced Bread, Sliced Bread - Series 11, Hearing Aids

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,879 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 July at 5:23PM

    Is anyone here using Apple Airpods in "hearing aid" mode? I don't think I need hearing aids yet but expect to do so eventually, and was wondering if this Guardian review was a fair assessment:

    https://www.theguardian.com/thefilter-us/2025/oct/31/airpods-pro-3-hearing-aids

    (Apologies for drifting off the topic of NHS hearing aids.)

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    That's excellent, I think I missed that one. I believe there's a fairly recent Which review too reaching the same conclusions.

    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 309 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks, my OH has worn private aids for 5 years. He's just shelled out around £4000 for new ones, he's used to just selecting the most expensive ones, but realistically, we are not going to be able to buy that level again once he's on his pension, so I'll get him to listen to the programme. Now he no longer has to go to work meetings and zoom calls where multiple people can be trying to speak, I don't think he needs the premium products. It's a shame you can't try before you buy as I think he would do fine with a mid level aid....

  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 8,336 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks everyone, this is useful. My OH is 78 in a few weeks and his hearing is declining so he’ll probably need a hearing aid in the near(ish) future

  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Bit I think SpecSavers offers free return if not satisfied. Not sure how long that's available for.

    Signature removed for peace of mind
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.