We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
New (to me) car issues - right to reject within 30 days
I'll keep this as simple as I can.
Purchased a new to me car less than two weeks ago. Its from a dealership.
Didnt take out their extended warranty through a third party.
Today it came up with engine system fault on the dashboard and a huge loss of power.
Phoned the dealer when I got home. Told to call the warranty company that they provide for three months.
Called them who stated I needed to get a quote etc and contact them to get it authorised. Informed that I would have to pay the diagnosis fee. There is also a limit on how much they'll pay (looks like £500 including labour).
Under the CRA 2015 I have informed the dealer that I am rejecting the car and to arrange a date to collect it and issue a refund.
They have come back saying that they will look at the quote and cover any outstanding costs if they feel its fair.
They finish by saying they reject the rejection.
Any advice would be great. I dont need to use the car so it can stay parked up.
Comments
-
You have a short term right to reject, the dealer doesn't have the choice of trying to fix it - you can ignore anything regarding the fix (or a warranty claim) and push for rejection. What they do need to do, is acknowledge the fault exists. A simple photo of the EML on with the engine running will show this.
Legally they can't "reject the rejection" (so long as the fault exists and they agree this) but since they have done, you have a battle ahead.
1 -
You need to show that the fault was there when you bought the car, so the diagnostics are going to be key.
This is a helpful guide:
https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/
0 -
My understanding is that is if its over 30 days? Under 30 days its accepted it was there?
What is pi? Where did it come from?0 -
How did you pay for the car?
0 -
I belive for a secondhand car you have to show that the fault is not expected for a car of that age/mileage and that it is sufficient to reject the car....that's going to need a diagnostic report im not an expert though, so happy to be corrected!
0 -
Bank transfer
What is pi? Where did it come from?0 -
I'd not normally bother to reply, but a lot of the previous information is inaccurate or just plain wrong. Others reading this thread in years to come, please do not rely on the above advice as correct - do your own research. I won't point out the mistakes and paraphrase the law, it is best to directly consult the legislation, next best would be seeking a decent guide by Googling.
0 -
Willing to advise on what is wrong?
What is pi? Where did it come from?1 -
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/part/1
0 -
That seems to reflect exactly whats been discussed here. Any further clues as to what you think may be incorrect?
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
