We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
State pension- declaring holidays to DWP?
Comments
-
It has always been legally a benefit. However most people think it is not a benefit, so when they read somewhere that it is actually a benefit, it surprises/worries them ( for no reason).
0 -
Based on what I've seen on here, the reaction is more one of indignation, given the stigma some choose to attach to that term - I'm sure I read one the other day who insisted that it wasn't a benefit because they were entitled to it after paying NI all their life! 🙄
0 -
It's just a word. Public and private sector pension schemes issue 'Benefit Statements' without all this drama!
4 -
If you start any benefits - including I assume the state pension, you get a leaflet telling you what your obligations are. It will say something like "Changes you need to tell us about." You wont be expected to inform them of a stay out of the country if you haven't been told that you need to inform them of such a stay.
It's worthwhile reading it, and filing it for future reference. Many people simply file it in the bin or in the recycling after a quick glance.
The most obvious notifiable thing for the state pension is death.
0 -
The most obvious notifiable thing for the state pension is death.
And is the requirement to notify that included in the leaflet that accompanies commencement of the state pension, seems unlikely to be included in the something like "Changes you need to tell us about."
?
0 -
As indicated by @Bikingbud there is a significant difference between the pension credits criteria applying with regard to absence away from UK, and that which applies to the basic (non means tested) state pension.
Seems other than in extreme circumstances, holidays longer than 4 weeks out of the UK can result in adverse outcomes for those on pension credit and attract negative attention from DWP as regards continued eligibility.
So @Sahara20 was correct to have flagged this distinction. Many on top up pension credit, may be unaware they do not have the same 'freedom of movement' as other state pensioners.
Appears if you have the financial wherewithal to absent yourself from UK beyond 4 weeks, it questions your entitlement to this means tested benefit.
Not all state pension 'benefits' are created equal.
1 -
I don't know. I'm not quite there yet. I just plucked something notifiable out of the air. There are some notification requirements if in hospital - but I can't remember what they are so I didn't mention them. In practice the hospital administration will also do the notifications.
I've worked with a lot of people receiving disability benefits in a previous life and they received plenty of information about what they did and didn't need to notify. In plain language as well.
0 -
I don"t plan to inform the DWP when I'm dead.
0 -
There is no obligation at all to tell DWP you are on holiday. Only if you have moved overseas
And (in my opinion) it is NOT a benefit!
Have a nice time
0 -
And (in my opinion) it is NOT a benefit!
And (as a matter of fact) it IS a benefit!
See above for a link to the primary legislation where it was created.
6
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


