We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

State pension- declaring holidays to DWP?

I have been informed that the state pension is classified as a benefit. I also understand if you are in receipt of benefits you have to declare time out of the country to DWP.

Are there tax implications or penalties and when do you declare it? I am thinking it is best to take any long holidays just before reaching reaching state pension age?

«13

Comments

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    You have to tell them if you have retired abroad but I don't think you need to mention holidays.

  • XzavierWalnut
    XzavierWalnut Posts: 312 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I am not in receipt of state pension, but I can find nothing on this. Only if you move abroad.
    Others, wiser than myself will confirm.

    Nearly everyone that I meet that is retired ,seem to spend most of their lives on holiday.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I can't see anywhere on the gov.uk website where it says you have to tell DWP if you leave the country for a holiday. It does say you have to tell them if you move elsewhere but that's something permanent, not temporary like a holiday would be even if it's a long one.

    Happy to be corrected on this if someone can provide some evidence.

    State Pension - GOV.UK

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

     have been informed that the state pension is classified as a benefit. Technically yes it is .

    I also understand if you are in receipt of certain benefits you have to declare time out of the country to DWP. Yes you do for some but, not all benefits such as the state pension.

    Are there tax implications or penalties and when do you declare it? Not relevant as you do not have to declare it.

    I am thinking it is best to take any long holidays just before reaching reaching state pension age?

    No need, just take your holidays when you want.

  • Sahara20
    Sahara20 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts

    thank you. I understood you have to report holidays if you are on pension credit because it is a benefit. I asked the question as state pension has now been classified as a benefit. If no one on state pension reports holidays I assume it is ok not to report.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,462 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 July at 4:07PM

    State pension was officially declared a Welfare Benefit in 1946.

    You need to declare overseas stays to DWP if you are in receipt of most income-related benefits but this does not include SP.

    If you are moving permanently then that does need notification.

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    It is and always has been a benefit, some benefits are based on National insurance contributions and some are means tested, state pension is the former. Enjoy your holidays.

    The word benefit tends to have negative connotations with some, they are offended at the fact State Pension is a benefit, it doesn't make it not true.

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,047 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Perhaps worth citing the specific sources you're referring to?

  • Sahara20
    Sahara20 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts

    More of a general enquiry going by what I had heard. The benefit label added to the uncertainty.

  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 2,991 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 July at 4:34PM

    Pension Credit is not the same as State Pension - Please clarify.

    If you’re away from Great Britain

    You can continue to get Pension Credit if you’re away from Great Britain for 4 weeks or less - for example, on a holiday.

    You must:

    You can get Pension Credit for up to 4 more weeks if:

    • you’re away from Great Britain because of the death of a close relative
    • a close relative dies while you’re away and you cannot reasonably return to the UK

    https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility#:~:text=If%20you're%20away%20from%20Great,for%20example%2C%20on%20a%20holiday.

    Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!

    One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.