We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
eBay simple delivery quandary
Sold a picture (measures 43 x 38 cms). Simple delivery has determined that it’s a small package (45 x 35 x 16 cms; 1 - 2 kgs).
I finally managed to find a box to send it in, however, the dimensions of it are 53 x 40 x 22 cms. As it’s over on all 3 sides, I’m concerned that there may be some issue, either at the P.O or the buyer informing me they had to pay some sort of surcharge. It only weighs approx .5 kg.
Should I just take it to the P.O and hope that I hear no more about it?
Many thanks, Cotm
Comments
-
Which service has buyer used?
If it's been listed a while and ebay 'assumed' the weight and size then there should be a clickable link that allows you to upgrade the size without fuss. If it's newly listed and you choose the size then that option is often not there as the size of package was seller chosen.
However if it's Evri the sizing doesn't really matter- but if it's RM then I wouldn't risk it and would apologise to buyer and cancel the sale. The relist opting for the medium parcel size which has much more generous sizing.
Even if the PO accepts an RM parcel- it may well be surcharged at other end and ebay may well pass that surcharge onto you. .
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
Is the label ebay have sent royal mail or evri?
0 -
The label is Royal Mail. The item had been listed for a long time, so I guess that means I probably chose the shipping method (in other words it’s not simple delivery). Have I got that right?
I would prefer to send by Evri but I can’t see any option to amend it now??
0 -
I had a similar problem that i sold a cushion on Ebay but I had several listed and the buyer bought all 3 so the parcel size wasn't the right size (this was Simple Delivery). I contacted Ebay who said not to worry and to post it (at the Post Office) as normal and if the parcel was too large and the Post Office charged me more to send then they would repay that amount to me but that it should be covered.
I took my parcel to the Post Office and they accepted it as it was, no extra charge and it got to the buyer without any surcharge. Hope that helps.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time1 -
Just to add when you choose to buy the postage via Ebay it often gives you an option to change the package size and it says something like there will be no extra charge. Double check that that works, you can try it without committing to getting the label.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time1 -
All eligible listings from private sellers should have been switched to SD , I say ‘should’ as we all know eBay sometimes miss things, if you’ve been sent a label then it’s definitely SD. as above , it should be possible to upgrade the size, there might be a link above the sizing box, that only works though if you haven’t downloaded the label.
I wouldn’t risk sending it though if not, a few cms on one edge perhaps I’d risk but not that much on every side.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
I contacted eBay this afternoon…explained the dilemma. Was advised to contact buyer, cancel sale, then relist. I’ve just had a look at eBay’s guidelines on simple delivery. It states “ Royal Mail have advised PO’s to accept all parcels as long their dimensions do not exceed 61 x 46 x 46 & up to 20 kgs” (wow!)
Sorted 👍
0 -
Accepted by the PO this morning…no problem. 😀
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
