We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Getting a mechanic to look at used car

waterman10
waterman10 Posts: 147 Forumite
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

I'm in the market for a small used car and going to look at trade rather than private for the added protections.

I know nothing about mechanical things and wondered if, when I see a car I like, I can pay a mechanic to look it over to make sure it's mechanically sound and the are no major faults? Do anyone like Kwik fit etc provide such a service or the AA/RAC? Thanks

«1

Comments

  • jonathon
    jonathon Posts: 761 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
  • PTP123
    PTP123 Posts: 130 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Don't waste your money on an AA inspection.

    They are afraid of giving cars a decent report because they don't want aggravation in the future.

    Pay a good local trusted mechanic to give a more honest report. They are used vehicles and will not be perfect,

  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,239 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    There are three types of "trade".

    Main dealer with "approved used cars" that include an equivalent to a new car warranty

    Garages that service cars and also sell used cars

    Car sales people that operate from waste land with a Portakabin office.

    The main dealers will provide a warranty that is much the same as a new car and covers you anywhere in the UK and possibly Europe. Garages that sell and service cars will likely offer a few months warranty and will repair any failures themselves. One local garage to me sell RAC inspected cars and I have seen an RAC mechanic there inspecting cars. They are pretty good for mid price used cars.

    The Portakabin type sales people are best avoided unless you really know cars well.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    It is a few yearsago now but we used RAC

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,278 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    My current car was purchased from a main dealer as a used car. First time I've done that, and I passed my test in 1988. Yes you pay a bit more, but the service is far better IME. It also came with a 1 year dealer warranty. Unless i was in the market for a low end car, I'd do the same next time.

    I've had the car 6 years now and built up a good relationship with the dealership. I've had a couple of occasions to drop in with a minor issue which they've dealt with for free, and mine also does a pick up and drop off service at no extra cost. As I get the MOT and service done at the same time, there's no charge for the MOT either. You can definitely get more for your money on a private sale, but if you aren't knowledgeable on cars, the risk is a fair bit higher I think. A balance between budget and risk.

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The AA/RAC offer expensive vehicle assessments that are renowned for being very doom-and-gloom.

    Kwikfit are a fast-fit tyre place who offer some basic servicing. They are not a proper garage.

    Use a proper local garage. Get recommendations from friends, neighbours, local FB groups. They should do it for the cost of an hour's labour.

    As far as buying from trade goes, depending on the age and price of the car, those protections may be absolutely minimal. Remember, the trader has to make a profit at the end of the day from buying, preparing, selling the car then any after-purchase support…

  • waterman10
    waterman10 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm only intending to spend about £4,500 on a car.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    How have you planned the logistics of it? Are you going to put a (non refundable) deposit down, then arrange an inspection? Or arrange one first, possibly for it to be paid for/booked but then the car sold beforehand, or during/very shortly after and you've lost out?

  • ohreallƳ
    ohreallƳ Posts: 166 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    What make are you going to get inspected?

  • PTP123
    PTP123 Posts: 130 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    You will never get the AA to give you a positive report on a 4.5K car.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.