We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

FedEx extra charges more than cost of shipment!

Hi, I had a lost item (a hat) returned from Spain to UK. I used an agent called Eurosender who in turn used FedEx at an agreed cost of 19.21 euro. The very small package was collected on 29th June from the hotel in Spain . On the day of delivery (2nd July) I got a text from FedEx asking me to pay customs duties of £21 and to pay immediately to avoid delay of the delivery. However it still got delivered couple of hours later and I hadn't paid. I contacted both Eurosender and FedEx. Eursender said it was nothing to do with them. FedEx said it was customs duties but I told via their website that the item was lost property and not liable for customs duty. Then they replied saying the extra £21 was for admin fees. I asked how on earth admin fees could add up to £21 when the shipping was only 19.21 euro. They didn't answer other than to say that the charge was for HMRC clearance not Admin. The hat was old but had some sentimental value and I gather it can be deemed 'Returned Goods Relief'. So I have sent FedEx a copy of the email exchange between myself and the hotel regarding the lost hat and am waiting on FedEx to respond. I have asked them to break down how they got to £21 for an item that was returned property. I feel that something is not right here! Also on the FedEx case file, it says the case was raised on 7th June. I raised it this week on 3rd July! We didn't fly to Spain until 18th June and returned on 23rd! Anyone any ideas? Advice?

Comments

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,316
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    customs charges will be based on what the sender put on the customs declaration.

    What was on the. Customs form?

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    An administration charge isn't going to be proportional to the notional value of an item or the postage charge. It probably costs the same to administer your lost hat as it would had you left something larger or more valuable.

    There's probably no conspiracy or deliberate attempt to defraud here. What's probably happened is that it's not been labelled as lost property and since you asked FedEx to import it on your behalf, you are liable for the customs charge and/or administrative fee. I also suspect their customer service don't understand and have given the two different reasons for the charge.

  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 18,787
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite

    Years ago, before I was really familiar with online purchasing, I ordered a CD not realising it came from the USA. The various additional costs were a lot more than the actual CD. It happens.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,264
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Administration charges often are a percentage of the declared value but with a floor so low value items all get charged the floor and high value items a percentage of the value.

    In principle RGR can be claimed on returned lost property but that all depends on how the customs declaration was completed. Assuming it wasnt clearly marked as returned goods then FedEx would be right in charging and you could then attempt to recover the VAT from HMRC (as long as you still have the customs form) but the fee wouldnt be refundable.

  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,776
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    FedEx has charged you based on what it was told by the company you agreed to use to send the goods. They have to declare a value and that in turn is used for the taxes.

    Based on https://www.fedex.com/en-gb/ancillary-clearance-service.html and the fact your charge is exactly £21 would indicate that this was sent as a return, and to process it to avoid the duty that it would have attracted required FedEx to process it differently.

    Returned Goods

    £21.00 per shipment

    FedEx can organize the return of your goods that either have temporarily been exported to another country for reasons such as repair, processing, testing, evaluation, trade shows, or goods that are being returned to the country of export in an unaltered state. This allows the importer to claim relief on Duty/ Tax with the necessary proof of export document. FedEx will charge a fee for the service.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.