We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Paper to Card licence change

theydev
theydev Posts: 14 Forumite
10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

Long story short, I still have the full paper licence.

Moving house soon so I'll need to update the address and as I understand it has been the case for years, a photocard type will be issued.

Had photo's taken last week for this purpose and popped into Post Office to collect a form, explained what I wanted (change address and I'll need a photocard licence) left with a D1 form.

My issue is the identity part. It is not clear to me what I need to send them , I do have a birth certificate but I don't appear to have anyone to 'verify' the photo. This is the part I am struggling with, what do I do ?

Comments

  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    This is how to use a birth certificate for identity purposes when exchanging paper for photocard drivers licence (from https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence )

    UK birth, adoption and naturalisation certificates

    You can use a UK birth, adoption or naturalisation certificate, but you must send it with one of the following:

    • National Insurance card, or a letter from the Department for Work
      and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs showing your National Insurance
      number - find your National Insurance number if you’ve lost it
    • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • your marriage or civil partnership certificate
    • your divorce or end of civil partnership document (decree nisi, decree absolute, conditional order or final order)
    • a gender recognition certificate
    • college or university union card, education certificate or PASS proof of age card (issued after June 2014)

    If you’re a pensioner

    If you’ve reached State Pension age, you can send an original of one of the following in your name:

    • recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Unless it's changed in the last few years, you also need to get someone to sign to verify that the photograph is of the person named in the id douments, which is the bit the OP is having a problem with …… I can;t remember the criteria specified, but I think my OH asked the shop owner of a shop that they visit regularly if they would do it,,,

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    You don't need to get your photo signed if you are using your passport as proof of ID. I think they do some sort of code thing as well. Not sure how that works. Wouldn't the post office sort it all out for you?

  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,811 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    You can apply online if you have a passport and no photograph is necessary (they use he one from your passport).

    However, I have an idea the OP does not have a passport.

  • SteveJW
    SteveJW Posts: 737 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I think the criteria for signing has become somewhat relaxed

    The person signing the form and photo must:

    • hold a valid GB photocard driving licence
    • be resident in the UK
    • know you personally
    • not be a relative
    • not be living at the same address as you

    Suitable people include a current or retired

    The list is not definitive

    A friend signed my wife's application. She is employed as a gardener, just put her occupation as gardener

  • theydev
    theydev Posts: 14 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Thank you all.

    To clarify : I do not have a passport (yet, that is next years I hope) so I can't go down that route.

    I have plenty of paper such as Birth Certificate / Recent letter from DWP (which includes my NI number) etc

    It is the 'someone must say this photo is of you' , the Post Office staff said they couldn't do it.

    I did ask my Mental Health worker as a passing comment a while ago when I wanted to change it as I knew I'd be moving, but she sort of said she did not think she could. The only other option I have maybe that might work (if they will) is to ask the local vicar as I've been to a few of their coffee mornings.

    Otherwise I'm stumped.

    Is there some kind of time limit to changing it ? Obviously as soon as practically possible but if no-one will sign it , what do I do. Incidentally I cannot currently find the paper one either! I don't know if that means I need to update it with a photo and same address to request a replacement then change the address after. I am happy to pay the £20 if needed for this as that would be my fault. It may actually turn up over the next two weeks.

    I did think about switching it years ago however then it was a case of getting a photocard and an accompanying paper as well , to my mind / thinking it was "more paper" , then the newer ones they wanted to charge me £20 for it (I'd already paid for photo's obviously) unless it was with a change of name or address.

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,967 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Do you really know nobody other than your mental health worker and the vicar?

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Seems to me that your mental health support worker is the perfect person. If the vicar "knows you personally", they'd also do just fine.

    https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence
    "Suitable people include a current or retired:

    • local business person or shopkeeper
    • librarian
    • professionally qualified person, for example a lawyer, teacher or engineer
    • police officer
    • bank or building society staff member
    • civil servant
    • minister of religion
    • magistrate
    • local councillor
    • Member of Parliament, Assembly Member, or Member of the Scottish Parliament"
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.