We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Prepayment cards for adults with additional needs.

My adult daughter has additional needs. She has no understanding of the value of items or money but wants to be independent and pay for things herself. She never goes out on her own, so I'm not concerned about her buying things willy-nilly bury I never know how much cash to give her when she goes out with her PA, just in case she sees something she does want. We are also now looking at her moving into supported living so are wondering if a prepayment card might be useful for her to have. I can top it up as and when needed and they can always get in touch with me to add a bit extra if necessary.

I would need hugely grateful if anyone has any advice or experience in this area and would need willing to share it please? Thank you very much 😊

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    The one I'm aware of (used by a friend) is Sibstar https://www.sibstar.co.uk/

    Not free, £5 set up then £5/mth.

  • tom192
    tom192 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Does it need to be pre pay or could you just get them a bank account with no overdraft and then move money into it as needed? Not sure if you have power of attorney etc, I wouldn't use one in your name for this though

  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 6 July at 11:46AM

    I'd recommend Starling's Connected card. You have to open a Starling current account in your name, and then you can order a Connected card for someone else to use. You add money to the Connected card as and when you want, and that's all they can spend.

    Connected card | Starling https://share.google/DW4uukpYFgkl6mRcq

  • ArcheryMum4
    ArcheryMum4 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic

    "Does it need to be pre pay or could you just get them a bank account with no overdraft and then move money into it as needed? Not sure if you have power of attorney etc, I wouldn't use one in your name for this though"

    Thank you and sorry, I'm new to this and don't know how to reply directly to a comment (or even if you can) 🙁

    I don't currently have power of attorney and last time I tried to set up a bank account for her, or even a joint one for us both, the bank wouldn't allow it. That's why I was thinking a prepayment card would be the only option 😕

  • ArcheryMum4
    ArcheryMum4 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic

    "The one I'm aware of (used by a friend) is Sibstar Site faviconSibstar Debit Card"

    Thank you, I'll have a look in to this 😊

  • ArcheryMum4
    ArcheryMum4 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic

    "I'd recommend Starling's Connected card. You have to open a Starling current account in your name, and then you can order a Connected card for someone else to use. You add money to the Connected card as and when you want, and that's all they can spend."

    Thank you, this sounds good so I'll check it out. I am her legal appointee for her benefits so I could use that account for them to keep it separate from ours too 😊

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.