We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
I caught someone fly tipping
I caught on my camera my neighbour son emptying his car and leaving the bag of rubbish outside my house on my camera.
I get in with my neighbour and don't want to cause arguments but I dont think this is right! Should I leave a note on his car to give him the chance to remove it? I do t like confrontation
Comments
-
Should I leave a polite note on his car?
0 -
Just leave the bag of rubbish on his car.
Life in the slow lane3 -
Notes left on cars often lead to arguments and conflict ("How dare you touch my car!!!!!"). It can easily fall into the passive aggressive trap.
If you get on well with the neighbour then why not knock on the door and explain the situation in person? It should become a confrontation. If it does, then they weren't as nice as you thought.
3 -
Take the bag to your neighbour saying his son left it in your garden and you want to return it.
6 -
Knock on the neighbour's door and say something helpful like "I believe your son forgot this and I didn't want anyone to steal it".
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅10 -
lol love that.
Personally, it really depends what the situation looks like, if he actively took the rubbish and put it in front of your house (doesn't sound like it), I would take the video and say "I'd like you to watch this, please tell him to pick it up". But if he was a lazy pig who dumped rubbish he couldn't be bothered to clean. I'd do what brie said, give it back to the son so he knows his piggy behaviour was caught.
I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)1 -
It sounds like he left the bag of rubbish accidentally? In which case either move it over to their driveway or put it in the bin. These things happen.
If he's actively dumped it on your property and you get on well with them, go over and talk to them and sort out the misunderstanding.2 -
Is it on the pavement where the BIN men will take it?
0 -
I imagine you mean he cleaned his car out, put the rubbish in a bag, and left it outside your house. In which case, take it round to your neighbours and say, "Your son cleaned his car out, put his rubbish in this bag and left it outside my house." If they apologise and take the bag then that's fine. If they don't, send the video to the council and report it as fly tipping, which it is.
0 -
I caught on my camera my neighbour son emptying his car and leaving the bag of rubbish outside my house on my camera.
I get in with my neighbour and don't want to cause arguments but I dont think this is right! Should I leave a note on his car to give him the chance to remove it? I do t like confrontation
If it's a one-off and the bag definitely contains rubbish, then treat this as a mistake. Simply put the rubbish in your bin at the next collection day.
If the bag contains stuff that might be wanted, then be neighbourly and drop it round as @Brie suggested.
Whichever way, smile. It takes less muscular effort than frowning 😊
6
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
