We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

ebay return case "doesn't fit"

Sold an item recently for £30, it's a 50 year old household item in working condition with multiple photos, measurements and a descriptions stating what is included

1 week later buyer opens a return case with 2 words "doesn't fit"

I'm a private seller, I don't accept returns, so I instantly decline it

theres a box to explain why you declined, I put words to the effect of "I don't know what it doesn't fit but i don't care, there were 10 photos,a long description, part numers, measurements etc

just checked my email 2 days later to see they opened a case, ebay then stepped in a put my funds on hold, and then the case was closed all within 1 minute

"We've reviewed your case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of £30.00 without any impact to you"

Comments

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,508
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    This has happened to me as well and whilst I’m happy I haven’t had to refund I still find it frustrating that buyer gets a refund and keeps the item. I assume they don’t get this more than once or twice and that it’s a goodwill gesture .

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,027
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Customer service is difficult, idiots everywhere.

    I wonder how these events stack up against sellers in the long run, I'm sure eBay keeps a risk profile against it's users for scam detection and all that, whether being at fault or not counts towards that risk rating 🤔

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,170
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Same thing happened to me - household object about 30 years old- I had plenty of photos, 1 video and stated model number etc. I had also stated that the buyer should check if it fits their model but visiting the manufacturer's website. He opened a request "doesn't fit my model". Ebay closed the case and refunded him out of their pocket. Ok, I did not lose out but it still made me angry.

  • Purple_Jumper
    Purple_Jumper Posts: 49
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 July at 12:21PM

    I had a similar experience when selling a well known brand of jigsaw.

    I took photos of the completed jigsaw and box, included a full written description of the condition of the jigsaw and box and the completed jigsaw size.

    The buyer wanted to return due to "Doesn't match description or photos as the jigsaw pieces were too thin"

    To be fair I didn't mention the thickness as I have never seen a description to include the thickness of a jigsaw piece and this thickness is not mentioned on the jigsaw box!

    Ebay refunded the buyer and they went on to resell it, listing it the jigsaw new, with just a single photo and a written description of "As new".

    🙄Rant Over!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.