We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gifted deposit problem

2»

Comments

  • retiredbanker1
    retiredbanker1 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Can You not put a second charge on his property?

    Your chances of winning in court are slim and you could incur costs but any attempt to sell or re-mortgage means they would have to communicate with you.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,415 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    Courts tend to go on the balance of probabilities I believe.

    If you have something that shows an intent to repay, then I would crack on and press ahead. Without it, I would have said your potentially throwing good money after bad.

    On a side note, if your relationship has not been great and the only way it is improving is by giving them something, I think its probably best to walk away from that relationship (as hard as it must be).

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • MacMickster
    MacMickster Posts: 3,666 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I wouldn't suggest going anywhere near a court with this. Starting your case by standing in front of a judge and effectively saying "We conspired to commit mortgage fraud together but he didn't keep to his end of the deal" may not bring the result that you want.

    Sorry to say it but you are best writing this off to experience, as well as writing a new will.

    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • chunkybutt1992
    chunkybutt1992 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post

    I can't put a second charge on the property because the paperwork I signed removes that right. The legal position isnt clear cut and I will probably have to get some legal advice to clarify my situation. I have already decided to get ties with them as the whole situation has become too distressing even though a grandchild who I barely know is involved. Thankfully I have other supportive/loving children and grandchildren who also no longer have a relationship with him. It's just sad to have to acknowledge that my son's behaviour has led to this.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,879 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    The legal position isnt clear cut

    Everything you've written here seems pretty clear cut; the gift was a gift, you both provided signed statements to that effect, so your son owes you nothing.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Smudgeismydog
    Smudgeismydog Posts: 732 Ambassador
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!

    I’m sorry this has happened, perhaps it was a bit naive.

    As other posters have noted, unfortunately, I think it’s best to walk away. Pushing for repayment will undoubtedly cause you more heart ache, and reduce any potential for rekindling the relationship in the future. If you do receive any money from them, it will be a bonus.

    Focus on enjoying the relationships with your children and grandchildren.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pension, Debt Free Wanabee, and Over 50 Money Saving boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,415 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    Sounds like you committed to lending something you couldn’t afford. Did you lend to your other children and did they pay you back promptly?

    It’s sad that your relationship is transactional.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Thank you everyone for your input. We have finally come to a resolution and some of my money has been returned to me with a timescale for the return of the rest. It appears remaining calm but firm has paid off. Whether I'm able or want to rescue our relationship remains to be seen.

  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    For future readers there are lenders who would have accepted this as a loan so the gift 'deception' wouldn't have been necessary, protecting the OP.

    This is the importance of the correct advice.

    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.