We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Barclays Switch Incentive Payment Rejection Appeal

But_it_is_Not_Right
But_it_is_Not_Right Posts: 1 Newbie
Photogenic
edited 30 June at 4:19PM in Budgeting & bank accounts

How to get Barclays to pay up with the £200 switch incentive if you took longer than 30 days from opening the account to get a switch completed.

Barclays have had misleading and conflicting info on their website for months. It may be changing soon because I complained about it so you need to download the rules on their site asap if you feel you may be able to appeal a decision affecting you.

I was dealing with the switch offer from March to May but the current offer for August, as of today, has the same confusing info on it.

I opened a new Barclays account in March and paid in the £2k almost immediately; this has to be done within 30 days of opening the account. I was involved in a switch deal with Lloyds at the time so couldn't switch straight away. When Lloyds had finally paid me for the switch I did to them I could then start the switch from them to Barclays. That all completed between 1st to 15th May. I have waited for the £200 bonus but nothing came. I rang Barclays yesterday to be told that because I didn't switch within 30 days of opening the new account I wasn't eligible. I pointed out that the terms and conditions on their site stated it was 30 days from initiating the switch not opening the account. I was told this was wrong. I argued, politely, and explained where on the website it stated that info and I initiated a complaint. The complaint gets dealt with immediately and I was told that it was not being upheld, that the bank had not broken banking law (which I had not claimed anyway) but as a goodwill gesture they would give me £200.

I declined that and said I would still like the complaint looked in to because it was not right on the website.

I had a phone call today from the next level of the complaints team who said the complaint was not upheld. I showed him where to find the terms and conditions, bullet point 6 in the Eligibility section. He had not read it before (aaagh, some what worrying) but as soon as he read it he said he agreed with me and upheld the complaint, gave me £200 plus £40 for the inconvenience - I had been on the phone for almost 2 hours the day before. And has said he will raise the issue to get the website changed.

So, if you have had your incentive payment refused because you were outside of the 30 days from opening the Barclays account for switching your other account do consider appealing that verdict soon because of the completely misleading info on the site, before they change it. Screen shot below of relevant bit.

(Image removed by Forum Team)

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.