We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Missed out on Santander reward

So, I switched current account to Santander in march. Just popped into a branch to see why I haven't received a switch reward to be told that I didn't have enough qualifying direct debits on the account, only one is a "household" direct debit. Is have thought my union membership would count as one!

Frustrating, I'll just switch again I guess. Unless anyone has had a similar situation and managed to get Santander to apply common sense?

Comments

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    You think a union membership is a "household" direct debit?

    Quite clearly this would be something connected to your house (council tax, electric, gas, water, maybe even a Virgin/Sky DD). Not sure why you think a union membership would apply.

  • Capt_easychord
    Capt_easychord Posts: 15 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts

    Point taken, but my mobile phone bill apparently counts as 'household' and it's a MOBILE phone!
    I wasn't even aware that they needed to be classed as "household" direct debits. My fault for not checking carefully enough I guess, but I've switched account many times in the past and recieved rewards, and none of those had this requirement. Oh well, won't bother with Santander again.

  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 June at 2:26PM

    The 2 direct debits have to be on the list.

    The good news is that there's nothing stopping you from trying again for the offer.

    You'll need to switch in another current account, move your £1,500 across again and ensure both direct debits are from the list. You can use the same Santander account, no need to go opening a new one.

    Nothing to do with common sense, those are the conditions of the offer. Not saying it's ideal, the list is a mess and full of companies that are long dissolved or don't have a UK presence. But those are the rules.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,468 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Best to have read the switch bonus rules carefully (or at all). Not only did you need 2 "household" direct debits, the 2 payees have to appear on Santander's approved list.

    https://www.santander.co.uk/assets/s3fs-public/AD_documents/Current_account_switch_incentive_Household_Direct_Debits_list_COREMC0876JUN26PUBCDT.pdf

  • Capt_easychord
    Capt_easychord Posts: 15 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts

    Thanks, good to know I can still get the deal, but I don't have another current account to switch from, so I'll need to move banks anyway.

    By common sense, I just meant that if they want to keep me as a customer, they could be flexible on what was a genuine mistake. But yes, lesson learned, read the terms and conditions properly.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.