We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

House insurance claim or not

Hello,

I had an escape of water last year and used my house insurance emergency services to get a plumber out. They caused me issues with resolving the leak which exacerbated the damage, but the cost of repairing the damage is less than the excess so I never claimed on my insurance policy and I'm doing the decorating myself.

I'm now renewing and using MSE's comparison tool which shows this up as a claim/incident. As far as I'm concerned I did not claim on the insurance policy (eg. £500 for a new bath), so do I need to mention this 'incident' on quote tools? I've looked at my current insurers portal and there are no claims listed. Considering anyone could have dealt with the whole incident themselves, insurers would never know about a leak, so why should I mention something that wasn't an insurance claim? Or have I got the wrong end of the wrong stick? 🤔

TIA

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,240 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Because not mentioning it would be fraud and a much bigger claim could be declined if they catch you out.

    If you claimed on Home Emergency rather than Home Insurance then most would not consider it a Home Insurance claim but it would be an incident that needs to be declared. Do check though the options however as some quote forms do have the option to declare claims on Legal Expenses/ Home Emergency and such secondary/add on policies.

    Having dealt with claims in a past life, yes we have fancy tech to catch people out, yes loss adjustors are looking for indemnity issues but the majority of cases the customer simply forgot they'd lied on the application form and openly just tell you about the other accidents they had which they attempted to defraud us about by saying "no" to any other incidents, claims or losses irrespective if claimed for or not etc.

  • lir7
    lir7 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    I'm not trying to defraud anything but don't expect to be charged more for something I haven't done and insurance companies fiddle things obviously to their benefit. Have I claimed on my house insurance = no. This site does use the term incident so I'm interested in seeing how other sites term this as I haven't had to look for it before.

    I also hate the fiddle on the bathroom question. I have one bath, one basin and one toilet. Some plonker decided it was a good idea to put a wall in the middle of them so I have to say I have two bathrooms but I have no more equipment or piping to cause an issue, just a brick wall which will be removed next year.

    OMG I hate getting insurance quotes! 🤪 Thanks

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,240 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I've worked in the industry for 20 years and dont like doing Home or my business insurance, car is fine. In fact my business renewed at the beginning of May and its still not sorted properly because the broker messed up.

    Ive not seen anyone not ask about incidents for years. Personally dont like it either but as always just answer the question as asked. "Bathrooms" does vary between insurers/sellers, having done two home quotes today I had to answer "3" bathrooms to one and "2 bathrooms + 1 WC" to the other.

    My main issue is our roof, its a block of flats, there are many different materials making up the roof, there are elements without a roof but instead a roof terrace for the top layer of duplexes so do you include the concrete thats made from as part of the "roof" likewise the roof extends over a walkway for the duplex to get to their front doors, the bit over the walk way is clear (plastic or glass I assume) is that part of the roof?

    I would say you have to say yes to incident, loss or claim, how you go from there depends on how the decision tree spreads.

  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 5,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    But you did use Home Insurance emergency cover, so an incident is recorded. When you get quotes you are simply recording incidents, so Insurers understand what level of risk they are quoting for.

    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,304 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Did you pay for calling out the plumber or did your insurance cover that fee?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.