We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Have I incriminated myself in a appeal?

spikeykatt
spikeykatt Posts: 11 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

Parking fine- Saba

I have read all the info/templates etc to fight a parking fine. I am just trying to find out if I have incriminated myself or not.

Context: I received a parking fine at Ninewells Hospital Dundee from Saba . I thought I was in a parking space, apparently not; I was not 'fully' in one. I appealed, it was turned down. I was then charged a further amount as I had waited too long to pay the initial £60 'fine'. I was trying to see if I had to legally pay it.

In my appeal I stated that we drove to location and and that my husband and I parked- I didn't state who was the exact driver was. Can I still fight this despite the fact I guess I have alluded to being in the car? I didn't know the whole 'deny you were driving' bit until I remembered this site had a parking section but by then the appeal was logged and denied.

From here, the company have said that their appeal rejection letter stated I would be further charged- it doesn't, it just says I have 28 days to pay. After complaining about this and the lack of communication, I received another letter saying I would be further penalized. I went back to them again and whole weeks went by before I got a reply. I was eventually told that QDR solicitors were now dealing with it and it is tough luck. I did offer to pay the initial charge after my appeal was rejected because I panicked but was told no, it was too late. Can I fight this using the systems outlined on this website please?

Many thanks.

Comments

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,184 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Definitely Not a parking fine, just a pcn invoice from a private parking company, SABA

    Ideally, you should never reveal who was driving

    QDR have no power to do anything in Scotland

    Ignore them

  • spikeykatt
    spikeykatt Posts: 11 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

    Thank you- I will do!

  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 44,982 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I wholeheartedly agree with @Gr1pr 👍

    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

    #Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,184 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 June at 12:34PM

    Next year the advice for Scotland may change, but currently its IGNORE THEM

    ( so you should have done nothing about it from the day you received the postal NTK letter, apart from maybe come here first ! Everything you have done was irrelevant and could have made things worse, blabbing about what happened doesn't get any sympathy, they just wanted £100, reduced to £60 for early settlement , same as in England and Wales. Sympathy doesn't pay the bills, money does )

  • spikeykatt
    spikeykatt Posts: 11 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

    I didn't blab to get sympathy- I stated some facts to the company. I wasn't aware of what legally I could do and you can only come here if you know about it. I already feel pretty crappy about it thanks!

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,184 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 June at 1:24PM

    I am not criticising you, its a complicated topic

    Dont stress over it, I was hoping to get you up to speed early doors, because the vast majority of people in Scotland will get bill shock once the new laws and regulations are enacted in all 3 countries

    People in England and Wales already feel that way and have suffered for 14 years , so its a different mindset that people North of the border will need to get into, less is more, and we regularly tell people not to blab about what happened on a daily basis on here, so I am afraid that you and others up there need to take it onboard, especially next year and onwards, because your Transport Bill 2018 under the fish wife will probably reach completion

    Sorry to be blunt, but the drivers of Scotland will need to wake up and smell the coffee, like in England and Wales

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.