We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Where are all the bees?

Slinky
Slinky Posts: 12,009
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 28 June at 9:35PM in Gardening

What's going on? Is it the horrible wet spring? We've got a lot of lavender and verbena in flower in the garden. Previous years the garden would be teeming with bees, and this year there's almost none. A small bumble-type bee earlier, and some very small honey bee-like types. Not many butterflies, and we're not exactly awash with birds. We are still using suet based feeders, no sunflower hears and peanuts, but even the baby bluetits seen to be elsewhere at the moment.

.What's it like where you are? We're east Anglia.

Make £2026 in 2026
Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
Total £629.02  31%

Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


«1

Comments

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,488
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    There is a general large fall in insect numbers but I am not noticing a big drop off from last year in either number of species or overall numbers in our small Cambs garden.. Seems a better year for butterflies than last plenty including a good influx in Painted Ladies (I have caterpillars on my globe thistles which is a first).

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,278
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    My garden in the Midlands is a bit short on insects generally although I tried to plant insect friendly plants. At the moment fewer bees, fewer butterflies, fewer ladybirds.

    it is concerning.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • Rhyddid2026
    Rhyddid2026 Posts: 1,545
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have more butterflies and fewer bees this year, but that might be because my chickens have eaten most of the comfrey and the bees love comfrey flowers. I still see a handful each day in my garden (South Wales) and one landed on my shoulder for a little rest a couple of days ago.

    Debts                04/01/25       01/09/26  
    CC1                   £14,122.71     - 
    CC2                     -                   £6,975
    CC3                   £6,112.60      £6,495
    1st Direct CC     £176.03         £151.44
    CC total             £20,411.34    £13,621.44
    OD                     £1100            £0
    Car loan             £4,000          £2,400
    1st Direct Loan  £10,684.44    £3,825
    Total                  £36,195.78    £19,846.44
    EF £2,800
    HF £3
    EB £250
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,413
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm in the north west and have seen a big decline in the bees in the garden. We have 2 huge lavender bushes as well as other flowers and I've only noticed one big bumblebee

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,545
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    London - lots of bees, loving my jasmine, salvias and other plants. A mix of species. Also seem to have lots of hover flies visiting.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,359
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Somerset - lots of the smaller bees and definitely more butterflies.

    I'm missing the huge bumblebees, one used to wizz past the back door same time every morning.

    But I'm putting it down to loosing my big hedge of lavender pinata to the wet/dry combo storms. I found that different bees like different types of lavender. Small solitaries like the Hidcote, bigger bumbles the Pinata and butterflies the old English.

    Found I've got more insects since letting the lawn grow, mainly because I've had an op and can't cut it.

    On the whole though lack of insects compared to 20yrs ago when I used to have to clean my car windscreen every two days. Now none at all squidged.

    I'd say that so many people have tarmacked over gardens for car standing and back ones too.

    Have you seen the programme My Garden of 1000 bees?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m002t686/my-garden-of-a-thousand-bees

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 310
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    In Reading, no change in birds, drop in butterflies, but my neighbour removed her buddleia so she could put in a fence 😔 less bees, but then didn't go outside much in the hot weather to check! As 2p says, even on a long car journey, hardly any insects on windscreen

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,488
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Before I moved out of Cambridge a couple of years ago I used to do butterfly surveys for the RSPB at Fen Drayton nature reserve and there was a huge difference in diversity at that site and the more urban reserve at Trumpington Meadows which had a large population of Marbled Whites (only saw one at Fen Drayton) over 5 years), and seen the return of Small Blues to Cambs after many decades of absence.

    This may be related to the heavy use of pesticides in agricultural areas, so our urban green spaces and gardens are becoming more important for our wild life. I don’t use any pesticides and just let thing ballance themselves out, for instance the masses of black bean aphids on our globe thistles have attracted masses of 7-spot Ladybirds which are rapidly reducing the numbers.

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,471
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 June at 10:48AM

    Things seem fairly consistent in our area of Devon. Locally, the big farm has converted from grain to sheep, the former having knackered their land, so with less spraying, there should be a benefit all round. We own species-rich fields and plant for pollinators, finding plenty of insect life.

    I do recall woods in this area humming with insects when I was a child in the 60s. I don't hear that now, but then, I've attended a few rock concerts since then!

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 15,141
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Most of them are apparently in my husbands shed…..

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.