We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Constipation in older dog

libra10
libra10 Posts: 20,241 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

My 15½ year old Yorkie/Pomeranian has developed constipation, and I wondered whether anyone has any remedies or knows of any products which might help.

As he has aged, he has lost some teeth and not able to chew as well as he used to. He used to love chicken, which I cooked and cut in minute pieces, but he seems to have gone off that. I am now giving him various varieties of Lily's Kitchen foods, which he loves.

He is still having long(ish) walks, and gets quite a lot of exercise.

Thanks for any advice.

«1

Comments

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,263 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Check he is getting enough water, especially in this heat - add it into the food, or mix something else in with it to make it tastier if he’s a bit picky. That can bung things up for them. I’m wary of suggesting anything that can be construed as medical advice but extra fibre as well - I used to use sweet potatoes or put some oats in. Gitdog did like his porridge for breakfast.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 20,241 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks @elsien for your advice. He is usually quite a good drinker, and I've been adding ice cubes to his water bowl to keep it cool.

    I'll definitely try him with sweet potatoes, and try adding some oats, and see how he goes.

    This weather (like most pets) he is snoozing more than usual.

    Thanks for your help.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Smiled at a dog eating porridge for breakfast 🙂

    If you're adding oats soak them first. They soften quickly. You could even use a tiny bit of stock cube to the water you soak them in .

    Wonder if some cod liver oil would work? There's a doggy one that I used to add to my old dogs dinner for his joints. You could put it on the side in case he's not keen.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Is this something new or something that has always been a problem. If it's new I would personally want a vet check just to make sure something more sinister isn't going on

  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 20,241 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks for all the advice.

    My husband has been taking cod liver oil to ease his joints. I will see whether there is a version for pets.

    The constipation is quite a new problem, and wondering whether the new food isn't going to be suitable for him. It looks quite healthy, with veg added in with ingredients. He is currently enjoying the food, and eating it all, so reluctant to change at present. He also has kibble in another bowl, which he checks out now and again.

    I wlll try the sweet potatoes, oats and cod liver oil, and see whethere there are any improvements.

    At his age, I am wondering whether a visit to the vets is necessary, but will see how he goes.

    Thanks everyone, really appreciate your help.

  • Rudi
    Rudi Posts: 358 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I mix a tablespoon of Weetabix into my 16 year old mini daxxie's wet food. Give it a go.

  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 20,241 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.

  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 20,241 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks for the information, I will look into it. He takes Yu Move for his joints, and this supplement might help.

    Much appreciated.

  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 20,241 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 30 June at 1:59PM

    Just an update.

    We had tried adding oats and extra fibre to Barney's diet, but the other night he was shuffling about on the floor considerably, and still very constipated. We made an appointment at the vet's and saw him this morning.

    The vet did a full examination, and said that Barney had an enlarged prostate but not too bad, and gave us some VetPro digestion support. If this didn't help, they would give him an enema. The vet also suggested buying another product from the pharmacy, which I think ended in 'sol'.

    I asked at the chemist when walking home, the assistant placed the bottle on the counter, but when I said it was for our dog, she said she couldn't serve me. Now I can't remember the name of the product, and will have to phone the practice to ask the vet whether he remembers which product he recommended.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.