We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

It's Payday Emails

Just having a moan, but does anyone else get annoyed by emails from companies (typically towards the end of the month) that start with "It's Payday!…" then try to persuade you to buy one of their products?

Seems very presumptuous and condescending IMO for at least a couple of reasons:

a) That you are in receipt of a monthly salary. Email would be pretty galling if you were not paid regularly, or had just been given notice of redundancy, for instance.

b) It tempts you to spend while your bank balance is temporarily inflated, conveniently ignoring the fact that you're more than likely to have several bills to pay over the coming month, or be hit with an unexpected expense before next payday.

Comments

  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,793
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    just unsubscribe

    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • strawb_shortcake
    strawb_shortcake Posts: 3,861
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As Jackie black says unsubscribe, I generally delete without reading these types of emails if it's a company I'm going to buy from again.

    I have noticed more this week tempting me to treat myself for my birthday - I'd like to think they'd have more custom if they reminded my Husband it was my birthday than me...

    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

    Make £2024 in 2024...
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,279
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I don’t get any of them, or if I do, they’re in the spam folder which I rarely check. Mainly due to the number of penis extensions I am currently being offered despite being a woman.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 2,329
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I've had two "payday" emails today, one from Lebara, who I have a contract with for a backup SIM, and one from Premier Inn, who I book rooms with fairly often. I can't really unsubscribe from either of them so I just ignore the emails, as I do with many others that I receive. It's also not my pay day, I receive 2 monthly pensions in the middle of each month and state pension every 4 weeks (next one due 1st July) and it wasn't my pay day when I was working, which was the last day of the month, so their assumptions are misguided.

  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,185
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    "Hey buddy can you lend me $10 until payday?

    When's payday?

    How would I know, you're the one with a job.'

    Leslie Neilson in Police Squad

  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 2,229
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As you have accounts with them you need to log in and check your notification preferences. You will have inadvertently signed up for offers so just unsubscribe from them but you can keep important account updates.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 773
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 June at 6:47AM

    (on Hotmail/ outlook at least) you can set up a filter that says 'if subject includes payday then send to junk'

  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Delete or unsubscribe.

    I was paid 4 weekly for 30 years so it was rare to get one of these emails on payday.

    If you are in control of your finances then pay date makes absolutely no difference to when you buy something.

  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 8,337
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    what so annoying is that I get loads of emails that I never subscribed to in the first place. As for the payday emails I get my state pension every 2 weeks so don’t have a payday as such.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.