We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Check your bank statements reguarly
I Joined a voucher website in 2017 for one voucher code and cancelled right away , but now i've found that £1700 has been paid to them since then and it was never properly cancelled, in all these years I was never contacted by this company to ask if i still wanted my unused account with them .
This was 100% my fault and the company has agreed to refund the payments which I expected would be an Impossible ask.
Ordinary personal banking can get very complicated very quickly and online payments are now the norm, i personally hate dealing with such things as i have Dyscalculia and I just want a simple bank account , now I realise that is not possible anymore and I will have to check my bank statements reguarly.
Comments
-
You've been so lucky that they've agreed to refund. I check mine religiously and credit card statements too.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time0 -
You really should be checking bank and credit card statements regularly as a matter of course. It only takes a couple of minutes to have a quick scan through the statement when it arrives and make sure there's nothing that looks unusual.
I do appreciate that dyscalculia can make life very tricky in many situations, but at a push you don't even need to look at the amounts - you should be able to recognise the payee name most of the time. If you see a transaction for Sainsbury's, for instance, but you've never shopped there, it should stick out like a sore thumb.
0 -
There is not a day goes by where I don't check bank transactions. Part of my routine whilst having the first cuppa of the day.
1 -
Yes that's what I do.
All my bank accounts, credit card accounts & my investment accounts.
0 -
I also have notifications turned on in my banking app so any payment in or out comes as a notification in real time
0 -
Yes, first task every morning.
1 -
I think the majority of regular posters on here are totally on top of their finances and don't need reminding to check.
I think the OP has been lucky to be refunded the full amount over 9 years.
1 -
I find personal banking very simple, not complicated.
If I had an unexpected payment come off my account, I’d know the same day or no more than 24 hours, not 9 years later.
0 -
Yes.
So would I.
But neither of us has Dyscalculia.
0 -
How do you know that?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
