We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Peugot Traveller / Citroen SpaceTourer / Vauxhall Vivaro 3rd row question

Herzlos
Herzlos Posts: 16,626
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite

I'm looking at one of the above people carriers but there aren't any available near me to go and look at yet, so does anyone have any experience of using them?

What I'm most interested in is how easy it is it get into the 3rd row if the 2nd row has car seats on the outer 2 seats? Do they need to tilt or just slide forward? Is there any difference in mechanism between the lower spec cloth and higher spec leather interiors?

None of the reviews seem to cover it at all, which is odd because it's presumably a big reason someone is looking at 9 seater cars.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,957
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I don't know the answer but Ive been looking at these on the internet for at least 5 years and have some thoughts :)

    The lower-spec seats tend to have one three-seat bench in the 3rd row and a 2/1 split bench in the centre. The single is on the RHS which would be nearside for most markets but is offside in the UK. I don't think there's enough movement on the rails to get into the 3rd row without folding the seat back forward. See this photo I've just borrowed from AutoTrader:

    Vivaro 2nd row.jpg

    That seat's only moving forward a hands-breadth or so, which isn't going to let anyone over the age of 5 or so to squeeze through the gap to the back seats.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,617
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Citroën Spacetourer (2021) user manual (English - 348 pages)

    Page 60 onwards.

    The 2nd row seat tilts up, so the rear rail feet pop out of the sliding rail to access the 3rd row.

    If it's a whole bench (crew bus/combi), the whole bench tilts.

    If it's 60/40 (Business/Shine) each part tilts individually.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,626
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 June at 10:23AM

    Oh I never thought about looking for a manual! Thanks!

    Tilting the whole bench forward in place at least means the car seats will remain in place, but I wonder how easy/practical that's going to be 1 handed. I guess I'll just need to go visit one when I find something local.

    Interesting that on p59 it's prohibited to have a passenger next to a folded seat, I've never encountered that text before and have done it pretty often in previous cars.
    No mention on removed seats* so I assume it's to do with the folded seat not being properly restrained.

    *I was considering getting the higher spec short wheelbase and removing the single 3rd row seat to provide some boot space rather than getting the long wheelbase and it being bigger than a parking space. I only really need 6 seats (2 kids in seats + 4 adults) + wheelchair.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,626
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm largely the same, I've been looking at them for a while but have been struggling to justify upsizing from the Berlingo, but there's no comfortable way to get 4 adults + 2 kids into those.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.